Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Woodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Heron

I think that hackberries are planted by my city, purposefully. We have 2 hackberries in front of our house, perfectly spaced --- one on left, one on right. As if planted fully purposefully. They have a beautiful form to them and look very attractive. They are both larger than our house. A few years ago a windstorm cracked one of the trees in half. Half fell, the other half is still standing. We were afraid we'd have to cut down the whole thing. Amazingly the half has survived this many years. Four years with a slash in its side where the other part used to be attached! Also, after we chopped up the part that had fallen, we had lots of neighbors stop by and ask if they could have the wood. Seems to be popular around here!

Equil, thank you for all the detail about planting underneath this tree. I do appreciate it!
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

I've got mostly occidentalis like you probably have but I do have Celtis laevigata var. laevigata and C. tenufolia that was a gift from another native plant lover that I'm using for ornmanetals. They're all native but 1 isn't locally native to me.... meaning it doesn't occur in my county and it's not within 50 miles. You're a little bit too far outa range for the last 2 I mentioned because their northern most reach is a few counties over from me and I'm in IL. I was hoping to draw in more flutterbies close to my house planting the sugarberries and the dwarf hackberry was a gift. It's the Sugarberry I'd like to sucker like Aronia does but.... so far no go on that. I planted it where it could do that and I'm sorta bummed it's not "performing" for me. Who knows.... maybe in a few more years it will.
--
I'm thinking you can pull this off. For me it was a little easier because I dealt with em as if they were understory plants meaning.... everything else was in and pretty much established when I added mine where you're working backwards. It takes time. I did lose some to deer. Tha's ok. I tubed the rest of em to stop the bambis from girdling em before they could establish.
--
I got to thinking about the million seedlings and what a bummer that'd be.... around me it's Siberian dogwood and Norway Maple seedlings doing me in....lately I've been finding more and more barberry though and that plant's like dealing with Himalayan blackberries... it fights back when you go to remove it. Anywhooo.... I found where there's a Japanese Hackberry that's been very popular. I'm wondering if her neighbor didn't get his hands on 1 of those from a local landscaper. The Japanese Hackberry is C. sinensis and I'd think it would be hardy to OK. There's a European Hackberry too, C. australis. Maybe that's why savannah's having so many problems and you and me aren't.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
Grub

My neighbor has 7 mature approx 35 ft Celcis occidentalis along the property line that borders us with other smaller ones in various stages scattered about where he doesn't mow and about 6 of them along his back fence, all volunteer. I've been pulling since early March and I'm still at it. We removed 4 large ones, also volunteer, on the other side of our property along the fence line that were growing between our houses. I don't have a lawn which makes it a nightmare with seedlings but the worst problem are the large trees themselves. Its a tree that causes areas to quickly get out of hand if neglected. When they were smaller, I didn't much notice them but in the last several years I know better now and wish we'd gotten rid of them before they got so large. I'm just trying to post a warning to prevent anyone else getting possibly getting stuck with a tree problem in a city setting. In the midwest, they are considered a possible nuisance tree anywhere north of Dallas where they have an invasive potential.

Here they are always part of urban blight. They come up between buildings and around foundations, heavily along property lines or anywhere its not mowed or neglected. Its the most invasive tree I deal with. Its not actually an unattractive tree, it just has the potential to cause major problems. There are Sliver Maples and Elm across the street. Put together they are nowhere nearly as bad with the seeds.

Tags
allelopathic, grows, hackberry, hackberry tree, native plants, phenolic, phytotoxins, plant, plants, suggestions, tree, underneath, understory