Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > WG Library

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
Fox

Default The Conservationist

I recently bought 12 issues of "The Conservationist" at a junk store. I got those and 10 back issues of "Smithsonian Magazine" for $3. I really feel like I scored on this one.

In the first place, the illustrations are just lovely. The cover illustration of a Mountain Lion shown here balances dramatic presentation with the accuracy required of a wildlife illustrator. The center spread (each issue has one) is informative while still being aesthetically pleasing.

They also give a glimpse into the mindset of conservation 50 years ago. Judging by many of the articles, The New York Conservation Department was run by and for hunters and anglers. That's hardly surprising as outdoor sportsmen have always been a significant portion of the conservation movement, although I think that that is waning somewhat these days.

I haven't read many of the articles yet. I got these just before leaving foir Florida and I've only been back a day, but a casual glance reveals a slightly different attitude in how things are done. For example, the article shown in the photo, discussing how to create habitat for rabbits (so you can shoot them of course), sounds just fine as it talks about leaving brush piles and letting the weeds and grasses grow as they will, but then they talk about how much rabbits will love it if you leave old junk such as wire rolls and oil drums out in the fields and tree lines. It may look junky but the brush and weeds will soon grow over them!

I look forward to reading through these and seeing just how they saw the natural world just before I was born. The issues run from Dec. '62 - Sept. '64 (I was born in Oct. '64), with one issue from 1971. While much of the information will be dated or even dead wrong, taken in context they should still be an educational read.

The Conservationist-5.jpgThe Conservationist-03.jpgThe Conservationist-01.jpgThe Conservationist-04.jpg
Old 11-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Heron

I ran across a few issues of the Conservationist last year at a friends hunting cabin in western NY. They were quite nice to look at I think he was going to try to sell them on ebay or something. I wish I was heading up there this year I'd see if he still has them.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Fox

I'm really enjoying them at the moment. I imagine that somewhere down the road, when I'm trying to clear out the clutter, I may get rid of them, either through Ebay or as a gift to a friend who might appreciate them.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

New issues are free at Sapsucker Woods and other parks.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
New issues are free at Sapsucker Woods and other parks.
So it still publishes under the same name? That's awesome!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

apparently so
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conservationist