Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Vegetables other than tomatoes (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/vegetables-other-than-tomatoes/)
-   -   Mixed Marble Potatoes (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/vegetables-other-than-tomatoes/6646-mixed-marble-potatoes.html)

Equilibrium 07-25-2010 12:38 AM

Mixed Marble Potatoes

1 Attachment(s)
What are they if anyone knows. I did ask the people running the booth. None of them new, they said they ran the registers for the farm and didn't really know much other than what the signs said. I'm ok with that answer. At least they didn't make something up to answer my question. I've got a photo of the marble potatoes. They're in the bin in the lower right hand corner of the photo next to the fingerlings. They're about the size of large German marbles. I found out new potates weren't really anything fancy, just red potatoes that hadn't fully developed. I'm thinking marble potatoes might be the same thing? Maybe they're dug up accidentally so they toss them in a bin to sell for big $$$ to people like me thinking they might be a tasty heirloom?

Heidi 07-26-2010 06:28 AM

Yes marble potatoes are tiny new potatoes! Yes they are put out because they are trendy and cute and honestly if they are fresh I think they are wonderful little things! .. I love new potatoes ..a lot! (they are another bonus crop for me!) ..they are more dense and flavorful.. than the full grown potato ..and those tiny marble ones I get a couple of lbs of those as well when I sift thorugh the soil when harvesting my potatoes and just love them even more than the new potatoes ...tossed in olive oil fresh herbs and garlic then roasted they are like the popcorn of potatoes! ..but then I just adore potatoes
and coincidently
I just reached into my potato bin and found a bunch of new potatoes and some "marble" potatoes this weekend ..and made my annual new potato pizza!
(my son won a contest and had this recipe published in a cook book.. shameless brag here)

either make your own pizza dough or use frozen dough (I can not imagine with the rapid rise yeast needing to buy dough already made but some folks do and love it!)

slice about 2 cups of new potatoes ..rinse and lay them out on a tea towel to dry
mince 3 -4 big cloves of garlic
3 green onions minced
grate some sharp cheddar cheese about 2 cups loose packed
toss the garlic green onions and cheddar cheese together
spread a pizza pain with olive oil..I use parchment paper with pizza so I oil the pan and the parchment lightly and then spread the dough on top of the parchment..if you do not use parchment then sprinkle corn meal over the olive oil and pat your dough out on that
set oven to 425F while it is preheating

sprinkle half the cheese mixture on top of the pizza evenly

toss the potatoes in a little olive oil and spread them out like shingles on the pizza
sprinkle with a little salt and fresh cracked pepper

bake the pizza for about 20 min add the rest of the cheese and bake another 15 min (or until the cheese is bubbley slightly browned and the potatoes are cooked

optional add a sprinkle of Mexican Red chile or some bacon crumbles to the pizza when you add the second half of the cheese

let it sit 10 min before cutting
enjoy

suunto 07-26-2010 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 72700)
What are they if anyone knows. I did ask the people running the booth. None of them new, they said they ran the registers for the farm and didn't really know much other than what the signs said. I'm ok with that answer. At least they didn't make something up to answer my question. I've got a photo of the marble potatoes. They're in the bin in the lower right hand corner of the photo next to the fingerlings. They're about the size of large German marbles. I found out new potates weren't really anything fancy, just red potatoes that hadn't fully developed. I'm thinking marble potatoes might be the same thing? Maybe they're dug up accidentally so they toss them in a bin to sell for big $$$ to people like me thinking they might be a tasty heirloom?

This looks quite similar to what I do at our county farm market - I grow several cultivars of potatoes, and separate out all the small ones (usually 20 mm or less in diameter), placing them in a basket labeled 'Gourmet Mix.' These usually sell quite well at $2.50/lb. When I first saw your post and before I looked at the image you attached, I though that you were referring to a potato with a marbled appearance , such as Purple Viking - see https://www.mainepotatolady.com/prod...?idCategory=28

dapjwy 07-26-2010 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidi (Post 72772)
...just love them even more than the new potatoes ...tossed in olive oil fresh herbs and garlic then roasted they are like the popcorn of potatoes! ..but then I just adore potatoes

...and made my annual new potato pizza!
(my son won a contest and had this recipe published in a cook book.. shameless brag here)...

My mouth is watering. Sounds yummy, and I as I read down your post, I realized I didn't even have to ask for the recipe! Thanks for including it.

Equilibrium 07-28-2010 02:07 AM

Heidi> I knew it!!! I just knew those mixed marble potatoes were accidental digs!!! What about putting them in a stew? I'd think they could be substituted for any recipe calling for new potatoes wouldn't you? And.... I'll try your recipe this weekend. I bought a couple pounds of the mixed marble potatoes thinking they could be something really special and I might not get a chance to buy again and if I found out they were a fancy heirloom that I'd passed up being cheap.... I'd have been big time bummed out. suunto> look at the tag for the mixed marble potatoes. $5 a pound. I'll bet yours sell well at half that price.

hazelnut 07-28-2010 06:32 AM

Me too. The marbles are the ones left in the soil when you pull up the potato plant. In the old days when we had potato diggers, the plants would be laying on their sides and it was the kids job to come along and dig out the marbles. We got to keep those, but the big potatoes went to market. I ate them raw, dirt and all. So good and crunchy.

dapjwy 07-28-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 72960)
Heidi> I knew it!!! I just knew those mixed marble potatoes were accidental digs!!! What about putting them in a stew? I'd think they could be substituted for any recipe calling for new potatoes wouldn't you? And.... I'll try your recipe this weekend. I bought a couple pounds of the mixed marble potatoes thinking they could be something really special and I might not get a chance to buy again and if I found out they were a fancy heirloom that I'd passed up being cheap.... I'd have been big time bummed out. suunto> look at the tag for the mixed marble potatoes. $5 a pound. I'll bet yours sell well at half that price.

I'm not sure that they were dug up by mistake; I'm assuming they were harvested on time, but these had not had time to fully form. If the plant was done, they never would grow bigger. I'm guessing they are 'new' potatoes.

Now, as for the price, that is a different thing...however, Heidi seems to think they are pretty special!

dapjwy 07-28-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazelnut (Post 72969)
Me too. The marbles are the ones left in the soil when you pull up the potato plant. In the old days when we had potato diggers, the plants would be laying on their sides and it was the kids job to come along and dig out the marbles. We got to keep those, but the big potatoes went to market. I ate them raw, dirt and all. So good and crunchy.

I like the taste of raw potatoes...in moderation, just a taste of them raw while preparing to cook them. I thought I was an oddball. Seems to me they'd taste much better without the dirt! ~smile~

biigblueyes 07-29-2010 10:14 PM

One of the best dishes in the world is fresh snap beans and new potatoes. The marble ones are perfect. Scrub them and toss 'em in the pot.

biigblueyes 07-29-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 72975)
I'm not sure that they were dug up by mistake; I'm assuming they were harvested on time, but these had not had time to fully form. If the plant was done, they never would grow bigger.

I'd have to agree - this was the first year I planted potatoes, but I waited until the plants died to harvest. My soil is far from great for potatoes - (first year garden) but most of my plants had one nice sized potato, a couple of decent sized new potatoes with more of the smaller ones. So I had a bumper crop of the marble potatoes without knowing the name. I brought a couple of buckets of them to the soup kitchen.

I found this explanation on www.thekitchn.com

Quote:

Marble potatoes are really any variety of potato that is dug up while still young and well, marble-sized.