Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Dollars from Dirt: Economy Spurs Home Garden Boom

Dollars from Dirt: Economy Spurs Home Garden Boom
by Gillian Flaccus

Dollars from Dirt: Economy Spurs Home Garden Boom | CommonDreams.org
Excerpts from above:
Quote:
Industry surveys show double-digit growth in the number of home gardeners this year and mail-order companies report such a tremendous demand that some have run out of seeds for basic vegetables such as onions, tomatoes and peppers.
Quote:
A new report by the National Gardening Association predicts a 19 percent increase in home gardening in 2009, based on spring seed sales data and a telephone survey. One-fifth of respondents said they planned to start a food garden this year and more than half said they already were gardening to save on groceries.
The author stated the average gardener spends 5 hours a week working in the garden. There are those who believe new gardeners will burn out when they learn how much labor it takes to get a dollar out of dirt. While some may end up frustrated, here's hoping the majority don't.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Grub

I know I am installing a veggie garden as well as planting fruit trees. I am hoping to get back into canning. Any way I can I want to save on groceries and enjoy fresh veggies. It is something I have missed the last few years, but find due to my own economic circumstances, I have to get back into again. I am hoping I remember just how to take care of beans, peas, and the other veggies I intend on planting! Will probably fertilize after they come up in a couple of weeks. Thankfully the soil around here seems to be pretty good
Old 05-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staff View Post
The author stated the average gardener spends 5 hours a week working in the garden. There are those who believe new gardeners will burn out when they learn how much labor it takes to get a dollar out of dirt. While some may end up frustrated, here's hoping the majority don't.

The benefits, for me, include mental, spiritual and physical in addition to the fruits of the labor. Hopefully the folks new to gardening will experience some of these fringe benefits in addition to tasting, for the first time, clean, ripe, yummy home-grown produce.

This site [Wilidlife Gardeners] has inspired me to look into the Master Gardener program in Nebraska. Now is a GREAT time to help people move forward with their own gardens and in a sustainable direction!!

I want to help this movement along.

Donna in Nebraska
buteojamaicensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Does your state have a Master Naturalists Program? I think you are more suited to that and you would still be able to help people move forward in their own gardens in a sustainable direction.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Does your state have a Master Naturalists Program? I think you are more suited to that and you would still be able to help people move forward in their own gardens in a sustainable direction.
Well I don't know. But I will look at it. Thank you for the information.

Donna in Nebraska

Just found a web site - Nebraska is developing this program and it ought to be launched very soon.
buteojamaicensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
Fox

I have participated in Wisconsin's Naturalist program. I found it to be a great experience.

I'd recommend it to anyone interested in learning about the natural world. It's really nice that the program is focused on the state you live in.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
Big Fat juicy WORM

Quote:
VA has both and I intend to be in the next class for the certification. I have found the MG's I work with, by in large to be very knowledgable, caring folks. We do make a difference and it's a nice feeling.

Tags
boom, dirt, dollars, economy, garden, home, spurs