Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I've never had lemon ball shaped cucumbers before. Hmmmm.... is this something I should try growing?
I think I saw those in one of the heirloom vegetable seed catalogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
We have an antenna in our attic but.... something went on a few years ago where we were supposed to pick up a "free" black box and we didn't so I don't think we can pick up any stations on our tv with just the antenna anymore. No cable here but we did have to pick up a basic satellite service so our tv would work..... another bill we didn't need or want.
I *think* you can still buy some kind of converter (but I'm not sure)...I think they were just offering them at a reduced price a few years ago.

I grew up without cable, and the first several years Jeff and I lived together, we did without. It wasn't until he moved here for a job and we lived apart for a few months that he bought basic cable since he had lousy reception with regular TV. Now, we are stuck with a monthly bill that I don't want and never thought I'd have. ~sigh~
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #22

I harvested our meager ears of corn last week and a few more today. Jeff seemed to really enjoy it--which is good because he is weird at times and doesn't seem to want to eat things I grew! This year, I had him help plant the seeds to make him feel more part of the process...I hope that helped.

I ended up eating the "non-traditional" corn (read yellow with several grey-blue kernels) variety because he turned up his nose at it. Actually, being away for 5 days, that variety was a bit over ripe for my tastes. Jeff got the better tasting ones.

Other than that, I've had a cucumber or two--both horse-shoe shaped. They don't seem to be doing well this year. We also have some heirloom cabbage about ready to harvest. I just have to figure out what to do with it. I'm all for coleslaw, but Jeff won't eat that, so maybe he can use some leaves to make stuffed cabbage--something *I* would almost turn up my nose at, but I've been known to like it on occasion.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

How do you fix the "pigs in a blanket" as we Northerners call them.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
How do you fix the "pigs in a blanket" as we Northerners call them.
I was going to say, "What did I call them!?" because I've been known to call them that as well, then I remembered I used their scientific name instead of the common one.

Hmm...I'm not quite sure as I never make them...but I believe it is ground beef (possibly mixed with rice and other seasonings) rolled up inside a cabbage leaf and cooked in tomato sauce.

Did I get it right? What do I win?
Old 08-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #25

stuffed cabbage, scientific name HA!
That doesn't sound Latin to me........ but then again....Classical Latin does include demonstrative pronouns.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #26

Quote:
stuffed cabbage, scientific name HA!
That doesn't sound Latin to me........ but then again....Classical Latin does include demonstrative pronouns.
It was late and my internal censor was on the fritz. I think even last night, I knew it didn't really make sense.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #27

You're up mighty late tonight as well. It's 11:30 here. What time is it there?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #28

Quote:
You're up mighty late tonight as well. It's 11:30 here. What time is it there?
If you are talking to me, my post shows as 11:30 and yours shows to be 12:30. That isn't all that late for me (at least not while I'm off for the summer)...a while back I think I posted at 1:00 or 1:30 in the morning--now that is late (for me anyway).
Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #29
Rock Star

Sorry about the long delay answering equil about the round yellow cucumbers.
I do like them because the novelty appearance is pretty and fun. The interior tastes and looks just like any other cucumber but they are small and seem quicker to mature.
The exterior has little prickles that you rub off.
I don't usually peel homegrown cucs and I don't think I peeled these last time around but this time the skin was a little tough so I had to peel them.

I lost all the cucumber plants this year to some sort of disease which might have come with the 1 plant I bought.

Actually except for a few tomatoes, a little lettuce (I am still waiting to harvest these), a few handfulls of green beans, and a small crop of tomatoes my harvest has been very disappointing.
The only real success I've had is the garlic.
Even the kale has been a little disappointing. It has been too successful!
It has grown huge leaves which are a little tough. I let too much grow and couldn't harvest quickly enough.
Fortunately this is fixable by cutting the stem back to 6 inches and letting it regrow.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #30

I had a problem with my cucumbers this year too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
The only real success I've had is the garlic.
I see you still haven't changed your avatar back...but it is comments like these that probably got you the one you have now anyway.

(I've had fair success with my garlic as well...I let it go to "seed" (if that is what it is called--when the scapes open up, they look like miniature bulbs)...and that has resulted in better luck than I'd had before.

Tags
harvesting