Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
. Over the weekend I harvested 'Kentucky Wonder' green beans
Are those green beans climbing up the pear tree?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

Thank you thank you thank you willo!!! I didn't take any photos but I've been harvesting Daikon radishes. I wish I woulda taken some photos because they're coming up real nice. I've been dehydrating them. I've got about 4 pints of dehydrated radish chips put up. They're tastier than potato chips with a dip or guacomole and.... much healthier!!! Only problem is I sliced em into rounds and they're kinda hard to pick up with your hands now that they're about 1/4th the size they were before they went in the dehydrator so next year I'll slice them on an angle so there's more to get a good grip on for dipping.
--
biig> you got it!!! Those are 'Kentucky Wonder' green beans. The branches of the pear tree were laden with little fruits. The more the fruit developed.... the more the branches sunk down low enough for the bean plants to latch on.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
Rock Star

Equil, that's a great double use of the pear tree.

I had to cut back the grape vines and thin out the leaves so I'm hoping my beans do the same for me on the heavy trunk like vines if the cucumber plants don't beat them to it.

Just got the internet back for the second time (2 different repairmen).
I've been without service on and off for about 2 weeks.
Verizon doesn't like to fix it anymore if you don't have FIOS.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

Ha ha ha.... I planned it that way.... just kidding. When I planted the beans where I did.... I didn't realize the pears were going to weigh down the branches dipping em low enough for the beans to scramble up them. That was totally accidental.
--
What's FIOS>>>? I've been having problems too because we haven't upgraded to the new UVerse (sp?) being offered. I don't want the extra bill.... the UVerse is more expensive and what I had was working perfectly fine until they started pushing the latest and greatest. I can be typing and next thing I know.... my connection is gone. They tell me it's the construction in the area and the flooding but it's not. They want all of us on what ever this new and improved UVerse is out my way.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
Rock Star

I lost my lovely big cucumber plant that was producing well, those lemon ball shaped cucs.
It was suffering from what was either downy mildew or mosaic and had to be pulled out so the other plants wouldn't be affected. Of course they"re still too small to produce yet.
A few tomatoes are all I'm getting now but soon I'll have lettuce! finally.

Equil, Our copper overhead phone lines where taken over by Verizon who are still marginally responsible for them depending on how many customers still use them. The product they are pushing is FIOS, under ground cables that make them alot more money with bundled services. It would probably be cheaper for a year or two with FIOS but then they can really raise the charges.
Sounds like we are in the same situation with these big companies.

I still have landlines and a roof antennae for TV so I don't even have cable.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

I've never had lemon ball shaped cucumbers before. Hmmmm.... is this something I should try growing?
--
FIOS.... UVerse.... they're both obviously ways to extract more $$$ from us. I 'spose you and me will have to make the change over sooner or later. We won't be given a choice... 1 day they'll inform us they're no longer "supporting" what we have and we'll be given 90 days to convert to the new service. We still have a landline too....... it's the only thing that works when we have flooding in the area or when high winds knock out towers. We have an antenna in our attic but.... something went on a few years ago where we were supposed to pick up a "free" black box and we didn't so I don't think we can pick up any stations on our tv with just the antenna anymore. No cable here but we did have to pick up a basic satellite service so our tv would work..... another bill we didn't need or want.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
Heron

Maters!!!!!!

What are you harvesting now?-p1040182.jpg
Old 08-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

lemon ball shaped cucumbers....I'd picture them full of seeds. Are they?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

Nice looking tomatoes recurve!!! Whatdidja grow and how do they taste and wouldja grow them again!!! I'm starting to get tomatoes too. Pretty soon I'll have them coming out my ears and that's even with the raccoons knocking over and breaking a boatload of my plants getting to my sweet corn.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
Heron

They are just your standard Burpee better boys and early girls. They have been my go to the past few years I need to get more on top of starting maters from seed next year and try more varieties. They taste pretty good though I canned up that lot save a few we ate fresh got 12 pints put up.

Tags
harvesting