Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default I'm going to deal the flea beetles that ate my eggplants last year a swift blow....

I'm going to put 1 of these around each and every eggplant. I still don't quite know what's cheap that I could stake em down to the ground with.... maybe golf tees>>>? I know tent stakes would be too expensive.
--
Fleeeeeeeeeeeeee flea beetles!!!
--
Oh oh oh.... I got to buy a new drill bit too which tickled me pink. It's really similar to the bits I used drilling entrance holes for birds in gourds only much bigger. This bit is a 4". My husband taught me to go in reverse when I was drilling so I didn't split the plastic across the bottom of the pot. I split the whole bottom of the pots that I drilled holes drilling the right way so I learned something new too!!!
Attached Thumbnails
I'm going to deal the flea beetles that ate my eggplants last year a swift blow....-img_2375.jpg  
Old 04-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Heron

Oooo Oooo... Flea beetle got my eegplants last year too. I'm going on the offensive now thanks for the tip EQ!
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I literally was picking em off and sucking em up with a portable vac so I'd get a decent crop of eggplants.... I was going nuts controlling the flea beetles. I knew I had to do something. I found that idea on line.
--
Those are 3 gallon pots I drilled out the bottoms of. The flea beetles aren't able to high jump over the rims of the pots to get to the eggplants.... what a shame.... my heart bleeds for them- not. Row covers definitely work but.... the pots were free. I had a stack of em in the storage barn. They're Classic 1000 Foliage pots (06-1740) at about 10" high, http://www.bfgsupply.com/Images/13_Containers.pdf.
--
I don't know if you can see it in my photo but... I drilled 2 more little holes knowing I was going to have to anchor them to the ground. You don't have any ideas about what I could use to anchor them do you?
--
Flea beetles got at my grape vines too. Got any ideas for me on those?
--
Here's 2 more photos, they're not mine.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm going to deal the flea beetles that ate my eggplants last year a swift blow....-eggplant-pot.jpg   I'm going to deal the flea beetles that ate my eggplants last year a swift blow....-eggplant-pots.jpg  
Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Heron

Golf tees should work ...Just drill 2 more small holes in whats left of the bottom and press fit

Some long nails with heads would work too.

If you can afford a few packets of fence hold-downs they might be the best option. They'll be in the section with the galvanized fence section and flexible because their made out of aluminum stock. Their about six inches long and look like a elongated "J".

I know flea beetles are tough but using potter's clay [kaolin] or diamous earth directly on the plants after the bloom stage might work too.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

spruce!!! You're genius!!! I did some power shopping yesterday and went to Menards and found EXACTLY what you said I'd find when I asked for those elongated "J" aluminum fence hold downs!!! And.... they were only $1.89 a pack AND.... there were 25 in each pack so I bought enough packs to keep flea beetles off of all of the eggplants I'm growing this year!!! Yaaaay!!! Much better then tent stakes and much better than golf tees and.... they're reusable and buying them didn't break the bank either!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Heron

I love it; Not only did you use the tip but you won't have to worry about them rusting.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
WG Facilitator

What are you using - row cover cloth?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

I had been using row cover micro fabric until.... we got hit with those high winds last year and it was ripped off. I never did find my row cover. I thought I had it staked down pretty good.... guess not.
--
Yes!!!! Those stake thingies should work perfectly. I started 4 different varieties of eggplant from seed so I cut holes in the bottoms of 32 pots. I'm psyched! Thank SOOOOO much spruce!!!
--
I'm using discarded 3 gallon nursery pots. I drilled a hole in the bottom and then I added to little holes for the stakes and I plan on planting the eggplant seedlings down through the hole. I still don't know what to do about my grape vines though.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I would have snipped and bent some clothes hangers to hold em down if you hadn't any stiff wire laying around..

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

I actually tried clothes hangers before.... they rust in the ground in no time flat. I went ahead and used what spruce told me to use.... so far... GREAT. We'll have to see how it goes once the flea beetles start emerging though. If someone wants to bump this thread so it shows up in my thread watcher again... I can go and take some photos of what I did with my eggplants. It doesn't look attractive but... if it keeps the flea beetles off my eggplants.... I'll be 1 very happy camper.

Tags
ate, beetles, bettle, blow, containers, control pests, deal, egg plant, eggplant, eggplants, flea, garden, gardening, insect control, insects, pest control, pest control flea bettles, pests, prevent, prevention, swift, year