Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
WG Guardian Spirit

Default Dead tractor woe

We got the news from the Massey-Ferguson doctor yesterday -- the tractor was DOA. Cylinders pitted and partially fused with the pistons. If this were a Ford, such a problem could be fixed for about $500. Since the parts for this are so much more expensive, we'd be looking at closer to $4000. So we're in the market for a running used tractor, and that will be our parts vehicle/ yard ornament. Well, one of them. There's a truck out there that doesn't run, too.

It is bad news because we really do need a tractor. So we're looking. Hmm. Think I'll also price hiring out the driveway work we were planning to do ourselves. Once that's done, maybe we don't need a tractor so much...
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
WG Facilitator

That's good thinking. At that price plus you having to do all the work too, it's certainly worth getting a price on having it magically done for you.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
WG Guardian Spirit

It'll take some convincing my husband, though. He's worried about a bulldozer operator taking down more trees than we want him to. Or at least he says he is. He may just want to do it himself. I know he wants a tractor.

Oh, and I looked out the window and remembered that there are two trucks that don't run out there, not one. One's "for sale." One he wants to throw good money after bad into.

We have some large vehicle/equipment "discussions" coming up.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:46 AM   #4
Unicellular Fungi

Do you have any equipment rental companies in your county or perhaps a neighbor who would allow you to borrow their tractor for the driveway work?
Old 11-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
WG Guardian Spirit

He has since pointed out that the driveway will need to be maintained, too. For which we will need a tractor to operate our scrape blade. He also pointed out that he's a geologist, and getting to dig is the "fun part" of building the house for him.

I think I might as well rethink my strategy and focus on dead tractor in the yard prevention instead of any tractor prevention. Heck, he might even be right.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
Heron

My husband had an old old Jeep that he was always throwing money at. He payed more attention to it than he did to us.
I finally convinced him to sell it when he got a route with a mail truck. He's a rural mail carrier. We sold it 2 years ago and we're still paying off the credit card bills for fixing it up.
So I understand "throwing good money after bad into".
Old 12-01-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

We have a collection of Cub Cadets. One runs... the rest are for parts. Mine got rid of two then bought another one for better parts off of eBay. You won't win this one if he's got it in his mind he needs a tractor.... and why should your yard look better than mine anyway. They have t-shirts that say married with children... you and me should get customized t-shirts that say married with husband decorated with tools and big boy toys.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
WG Guardian Spirit

I think that's a great idea.

I think I'm going to push for a Ford tractor -- that renders the dead one useless for parts and makes it easier to get rid of.

As we put in our driveway, though, I'm also going to insist that every relatively flat treeless spot along the side becomes parking area. That way, his decorations can line up to welcome visitors gradually instead of sitting in the yard!

He insists, by the way, that all the yard decorations are a good substitute for a security system. Says they're an unwritten sign in redneck code that says "A gun lives here..."

Don't tell that one to your husband, or he'll use it. too.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyC View Post
Heck, he might even be right.
Shhhhhh Don't say that out loud. You don't want him to hear it!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
Heron

[QUOTE]He insists, by the way, that all the yard decorations are a good substitute for a security system. Says they're an unwritten sign in redneck code that says "A gun lives here..."[QUOTE]

Ah ha, I understand now. They're just making their territory.

Tags
dead, tractor, woe