Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Garden Angel

Default Honeysuckle popper

I cleaned up an area of honeysuckle late last week. Not a big area, maybe 15x40, but it sure had a lot of honeysuckle.

I decided, during the process, that I was not going to a)treat the stumps w/roundup or b)burn them out. A couple of different reasons here, but (at this point) a) is not an option.

I bought a honeysuckle popper. It seems to me that I'd read about this here, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any experience with it?

He's actually local, w/in 30 miles, and I'll get delivery this Friday, which is fine because I won't have daylight after work (or very, very little) to work with it anyway.

I'm pretty excited about it, actually, and envision a whole lot of opportunities for such a product in the hands of some service groups. If you have experience with it, please tell me I didn't just flush $125? I've never paid so much for an outdoor tool that didn't take gas...
CincyGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
WG Facilitator

A Honeysuckle popper? That's pretty interesting.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Honeysuckle is pretty shallow rooted. The honeysuckle popper wouldn't be my first choice since it won't be able to get the totally massive honeysuckles and it isn't all that versatile but... it will save your back and be worth the money for most of the ones that aren't way out of control. I've used one before. I think you should be happy with it for honeysuckles. So nooooooo, you didn't flush $125 down the toilet for honeysuckles only.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Garden Angel

It works, and well. It was delivered to my office today, and I couldn't wait so went the Civic Garden Center at lunch and we all had a go. I broke a sweat, got several "you're overdressed for this" comments, but the three of us took out 7 or 8 bushes in 30 minutes or so, and didn't even get my suit dirty.

I got home, changed, and brought up one of the larger crowns in minutes.

Very simple, very easy; I balk at the price but, well, I balk at prices. It appears to be extremely efficient.

I'll post a couple of photos when I get done tomorrow, but I have a feeling it's going to be a productive time.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
WG Facilitator

Don't you love it when a new toy is as good as you hoped it would be?
Old 11-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
Unicellular Fungi

The right tool for the job can make all the difference. It certainly sounds as if your money was truly well spent with those results. Big congratulations on your new toy.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Garden Angel

It works, really well. I started with the biggest around:
Honeysuckle popper-11142009035.jpg

The actual time to take this out was less than 5 minutes.
Honeysuckle popper-11142009043.jpg

I decided to try it on some other, non-honeysuckle type things, and it wasn't as easy going, but it did work as long as I could find a "shelf" type of structure on the tap root. Then, it lifted them right out.
Honeysuckle popper-11142009047.jpg

It'll be a long time before I consider it "worth" $125, as I'm a cheapskate; however, it works better than I could imagine, and maybe better than advertised. The seller makes it out that it's difficult to get the hang of, and I didn't find it difficult, at all.

My wife got in on the action, and I've now scene 3 smaller ladies (not smaller than my wife, but on the smallish side in general) handling it, and it was difficult (but doable) for all of them. It's unwieldy, and 6+ feet, 27 lbs, and with a large platform at the bottom. It's worse than a spud bar, too, because of the curved tip. But, once it's driven deep, it's a pleasure.

That was fun. I'd highly recommend it, over cutting the things out.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
Unicellular Fungi

You accomplished quite a bit. The tool was well worth the money if it works better than you imagined.

We need to factor in how much money we will save over the life of any tool when we do not have to purchase chemicals.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #9
Carbon

Reading the posts by CincyGarden helped inspire me to go ahead and buy the HP. I am now convinced this tool is better than any homemade contraption I could build over a weekend. Looking forward to receiving it tomorrow when Mr Honeysuckle delivers it in person!

Lamb Saag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
Garden Angel

Good luck Lamb. I've loaned mine out a couple of times since, and it is tremendously efficient. Unfortunately, you won't have the great weather I did to work with it, but I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Do you have a metal shop? If so, I have the supplies for a weekend wood gasifier project =-)

Tags
brush, garden tool, honeysuckle, honeysuckle patch, honeysuckle popper, honeysuckle shrubs, invasive, invasive honeysuckle, invasive plants, invasive species, invasives, mr. honeysuckle, popper, remove honeysuckle, remove honeysuckle bushes, removing brush, removing invasives, tool, tools