Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

Here’s my list of lust knives, Silver Stag Silver Stag Guthook Knife, Kershaw Knives Mini Skinner, G10 Handle, Plain Edge, Sheath, Kanetsune Santoku 180mm, 1.5mm Thick 2N Japanese High Carbon Steel Chef Knife, Dexter-Russell 8" Cleaver in Clam Pak, USA Made, Imperial Schrade Extreme Survival knife with sheath, KnifeSupply.com - Grohmann Trout & Bird Knife, Schrade 877UH Uncle Henry Pro Skinner 2 Blade Muskrat Knife with Clip Point and Clip Point with Gut Hook Blades - Amazon.com, and A.G. Russell Knives | A.G. Russell™ Bird & Trout. Ya…. I like Knife Depot. I’ve been buying knives there. When I want to buy something…. I call and tell them why I want what I want and how I’m going to use it and they tell me if I’m off base or not and make suggestions if I am. What’s nice about them is they tell me to hold off if they know something I want is gonna go on sale. The guy I deal with there keeps telling me to get a boot knife but…. I keep telling him I don’t wear boots hardly at all unless it’s snowing. I could really use 1 of these for sharpening my axe, Dual-Grit Multi-Purpose, Puck. It’s “knife” related so I’ll toss that onto my lust list. I could use a decent meat saw. I’ve been looking around and haven’t really found anything that “feels” good in my hand yet. Does a meat saw count in the knife department? My lust knife list changes every time I use the knives I have more and get the chance to feel 1 I’ve been lusting for in my hand when I go to a place like Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shops. I am thinking I’d like that little Silver Stag and Kershaw mini skinner for mother’s day though.
--
recurve> no thanks to you…. that lust list of mine just grew. I’ve been wanting a new filet knife. I’ll try 1 of yours soon as I can!!! Would I need to buy replacement blades right away? The only knife I’ve got that takes replacement blades is a utility knife and those are single edged razor blades….. this would be new to me.
--
Liquid> "Did you know if you go to the kitchen section in Wal Mart there is not a decent knife to be had?" Uh huh.... I did. And their tools suck too. There's not much decent at WalMart anymore and to boot.... their prices haven't been the lowest for years. Sears has better sales than Wally World and at least Sears carries some decent knives and the Craftsman line of tools IMO. Oh.... and the organic products Wally World said they'd start carrying more of.... the minute their advertising succeeded in bringing in more customers.... the more "natural" products they started allocating shelf space to and I’m sure you read all about them carrying GMOed corn and GMOed tomatoes. And... last time I checked... they were putting those "natural" products in by what little organic products they were still offering. Too bad WalMart cut itself so many "sweet" deals that there's virtually a ChinaMart in every community…. seems as nothing they sell is built to last and it’s all ending up in landfills yet folk just keep going back for their “cheap” goods.
--
Sage> Who is Maggy.... ha ha ha.... were you in the right thread when you typed that>>>?
--
"If you show me yours, I'll show you mine! ." I showed some of mine.... now you show some of yours and tell me what's on your "lust" list!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
Heron

I'm not sure about the fillet knives but the small skinning knife will handle 6-10 small game animals before I get feed up and change the blade(not that it won't still do the job I just like a knife that"s light sabre sharp so if I cut myself I need stitches)I change the blade everytime before I skin a big game animal like a deer just because it's usually been awhile since I used the knife. I would think you could fillet a good number of fish with it before changing the blade.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Ok.... I'm game. My husband has "ripped" off every filet knife I've ever bought. I hid 1 in the knife drawer behind all the other knives..... shhhh.... don't tell. Maybe.... I'll buy this for him when he goes fishing so I don't have to hide my last filet knife on him. I sorta feel guilty hiding it.
--
Do you have any duds or a lust list? You've been at this a lot longer than me so you've probably weeded out all your duds and replaced em with knives that work for you so maybe some other knives you've got that you really like? I'm just curious.... I really had no idea how much a difference a decent knife could make until a coupla years ago.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
Heron

Recurve I got to go to the hospital to sew up my gut that I busted laughing at your joke:

"I just like a knife that"s light sabre sharp so if I cut myself I need stitches "

Sums it up for me too.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
Heron

I use a fillet knife for everything including big sweet potatoes.
I notice the blade trembles and bends at the sight of a sweet potato. We like them thin and baked.

I broke a handle of one of my fillet knives this past winter -- it was plastic -- but the knife was fine. What do I do to get a new handle on it?

What kind of knife would be good for sweet potato thin slices
Old 02-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ok.... I'm game. My husband has "ripped" off every filet knife I've ever bought. I hid 1 in the knife drawer behind all the other knives..... shhhh.... don't tell. Maybe.... I'll buy this for him when he goes fishing so I don't have to hide my last filet knife on him. I sorta feel guilty hiding it.
--
Do you have any duds or a lust list? You've been at this a lot longer than me so you've probably weeded out all your duds and replaced em with knives that work for you so maybe some other knives you've got that you really like? I'm just curious.... I really had no idea how much a difference a decent knife could make until a coupla years ago.
I've got a drawer full of Duds! Honestly I always just bought cheap knives used and abused them and bought a new one when they broke or got to dinged up. I'll have to put my "lust list" together when I have some more time later in the week stay tuned! Back to the school work I go I mean it this time
Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Lib, that's when I know it's bedtime! When I'm mixed up and don't know what planet I'm on!
Gotta go to another birthday party now...back later
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

Liquid> “I broke a handle of one of my fillet knives this past winter -- it was plastic -- but the knife was fine. What do I do to get a new handle on it?” I’m pretty sure I’ve run across knife handles online for sale before. Maybe try a Gander Mountain or some sort of a sportsman’s center where you could bring your knife in? I definitely wouldn’t throw it out.
--
What kind of knife would be good for sweet potato thin slices” 5th knife over in my 1st photo…. start looking for them at estate sales otherwise you’re gonna pay through the nose getting 1 that’s decent that’ll last. Maybe you could try eBay? Does this mean you’ll have the beginnings of a “lust” list>>>?
--
recurve> I started out with better quality knives.... I just didn't know to sharpen em. Time went on and I really wasn't making the connection that the "replacement" knives I was buying not only sucked.... they were cheap. I'm learning.... sometimes it takes me a while to catch on but.... sooner or later I get it so I definitely wanna see your duds soon as you get a breather!!! Not just the duds in the kitchen drawer but the duds in your hunting and fishing and gardening stashes too!!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
Heron

Yes; that looks like a knife that would do a lot of things I need doing. Big knife but thin.
I have a list - it as short - filets knives -- now I can add to the list number 2.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #20
Heron

This is who turned me on to Havalon knives.

Havalon Piranta - MeatEater

I really like Steven Rinnella all his stuff books, tv shows, videos are all excellent IMHO you should check him out.

Tags
knives