Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #11
WG Fundraising Coordinator

My daughter is a new homeowner and she is looking into an electric mower for her small yard. I told her she should think about a reel mower. I don't think she took me seriously.

She did ask me to plan her landscaping so that should be fun! Oh, boy, a fresh new canvas to work with! She won't need the mower after I'm done!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #12
Heron

If you do buy the kit and ever just need the sharpening sauce you can find it at most auto parts stores under the label of Valve Grinding Compound. Of course if you can't or don't want to take off the wheel just spin it back wards with the wheels on.,,Just flip it over.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

I'm going to buy the kit only because our lawn has been shrinking over the years and I'm thinking that it's just more practical using my reel mower because it'll keep me in shape and... no gas.... no exhaust. Do you know where I could buy Clover grinding compound? Supposedly that's the brand with the "right" grit to use on American reel mowers.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
My daughter is a new homeowner and she is looking into an electric mower for her small yard. I told her she should think about a reel mower. I don't think she took me seriously.
I grew up using an electric mower...that is what my dad bought, and I took over after my older brother once I was old enough.

I used the gas mower left here by the previous owner (what is now my "rock mover")...and replaced it with a gas mower after that died. I'd never used gas mowers before in my life. Now I'd like to consider a reel one...but I'm sure it couldn't handle mowing down the mugwort when it gets too tall...now once that is eliminated (along with a couple other invasives, maybe a reel mower would be feasible again).

Do they even sell solar ones? It seems to me (if technology were advanced enough) it would make sense--who mows the yard in the rain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post

She did ask me to plan her landscaping so that should be fun! Oh, boy, a fresh new canvas to work with! She won't need the mower after I'm done!
Yay! Lucky you! I'm sure you'll have a blast...and make it beautiful.

LOL! ("She won't need a mower after I'm done!"
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
Heron

single eye Valve Grinding vs Reel Knives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I'm going to buy the kit only because our lawn has been shrinking over the years and I'm thinking that it's just more practical using my reel mower because it'll keep me in shape and... no gas.... no exhaust. Do you know where I could buy Clover grinding compound? Supposedly that's the brand with the "right" grit to use on American reel mowers.
---I can see where the grit's might be different from a hardened valve compared to a Reel Blade. The only Apps that use Reel Mowers for Turf Management are Baseball/Football Fields and the Greens on Golf Courses, Other than those leads all I find are dead ends. Seems with the explosion of Home Depots selling us cheap Chinese garden equipment finding anything needed for up-keep really takes some detective work.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
Seems with the explosion of Home Depots selling us cheap Chinese garden equipment finding anything needed for up-keep really takes some detective work.

We are a throw away society. (...but you all already knew that.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lawn, mowers, reel, sharpen