Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Threatened & Endangered Species

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Grizzly Kills Man on Trail in Yellowstone

"A female grizzly bear attacked and killed a man who encountered the bruin and her cubs while he was hiking with his wife on Wednesday in Yellowstone National Park, park officials said.
The fatal mauling occurred about a mile and a half from the start of the Wapiti Lake trail, and another group of hikers nearby heard the victim's wife crying out for help and used a cell phone to call park rangers for assistance.
A National Park Service statement said the couple had inadvertently surprised the mother grizzly and her cubs, and in "an attempt to defend a perceived threat to her cubs, the bear attacked and fatally wounded the man.""

Grizzly bear kills Yellowstone hiker - Yahoo! News

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
The Bug Whisperer

Although an extremely unfortunate (and tragic in human perspective) incident, the bear's behavior was recognized as a 'normal' response to a perceived threat to her cubs rather than an aggressive unprovoked attack, so her life was spared.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Although an extremely unfortunate (and tragic in human perspective) incident, the bear's behavior was recognized as a 'normal' response to a perceived threat to her cubs rather than an aggressive unprovoked attack, so her life was spared.
I was out hiking in Yellowstone last summer and purchased some bear spray for just such an event. I had overheard a bartender relating his story of, while black bear hunting, getting caught between a mother grizzly and her cubs. He was saying how the spray stopped her charge at him dead in her tracks and she sat down. He, of course, fled.

The problem my imagination had while hiking was whether I'd see the bear on time, whether my arm would be obedient to me and not shake all over trying to get the spray out, or whether the spray would spray! Too often, the grandeur of the scenes I was seeing was tainted by my fear of the possible encounter. One morning while hiking and finding interesting animals like a snowshoe hare and a White Pelican and a Trumpeter Swan, I was in my glory with even the wildflowers like they occur only in dreams. Later in the day, however, directly across the street from where I had been hiking in the morning, I noticed many cars pulled over to the side of the road. There, close to the road, was a grazing grizzly. People were taking pictures while one lone off-duty ranger was trying to get everyone into their vehicles.

It was discomfiting that night reflecting that I had been hiking across the street from there alone that very morning.

But, you're correct, they are going to leave the mother bear alone, as she was deemed to be acting normally and protecting her cubs.

Grizzly bear kills hiker at Yellowstone National Park - Telegraph

This event, of course, is quite different than the one where the mother grizzly went on the rampage and killed and maimed sleeping tenters last year. She was euthanized and her cubs donated to zoos, as they were deemed "damaged goods" after witnessing what they had.

I was in the same area where that occurred also, and had camped in the same area a couple of nights before. I didn't get much sleep as the attendant put the fear of god into me by saying they had been having an inordinate amount of bear activity as of late. My nervous system wasn't in the mood for sleeping! Two days later the rampage took place on campers. It didn't occur in the same camping ground. But it was in the same National Forest. The link to that event is in the link listed above.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
A Bee's Best Friend

We can not deny that top predators are sometimes dangerous to man. Intelligence gives us fear and the ability to search for a workable solution.

Murder USA 2009 15,241
Crash fatalities 2009 33,808

Brown bear 2009 - 0
2010 - 2
2011 - 1

Black Bear 2009 - 2
2010 - 1
2011 - 1

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
We can not deny that top predators are sometimes dangerous to man. Intelligence gives us fear and the ability to search for a workable solution.

Murder USA 2009 15,241
Crash fatalities 2009 33,808

Brown bear 2009 - 0
2010 - 2
2011 - 1

Black Bear 2009 - 2
2010 - 1
2011 - 1
Oh, for sure. We are in agreement on that. I think, though, that if one is hiking in areas known to contain bears, especially grizzlies, one should be well prepared for the possible dangers. In my view, death by being mauled is just about the worst way to go, though the end be the same. Next time out there I'll be with somebody else who is also armed with spray. Hiking in some areas of Yellowstone while alone might be, using your analogies, walking at midnight through the worst part of a big city, or running across a busy interstate highway in rush hour!

But I remain a supporter of the grizzly and wolf. A wilderness area isn't truly "wild" without top predators.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
A Bee's Best Friend

Jack, I agree with you completely. Common sense should always rule.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Fox

My father tells me of a bush pilot in Alaska who was chartered to take a photographer somewhere into the wilds. As he was unloading the fellow, he noticed that he had no weapons. The pilot explained that this was grizzly country and he should borrow one of his rifles. The guy said he wasn't worried about it and didn't believe in guns. Finally the pilot prevailed on the photographer to take some bear repellent.
After taking off, the pilot circled the landing spot one time before heading home. Upon doing so he saw the photographer rolling around on the ground like mad. Thinking he was having a seizure, he quickly landed the plane and rushed over to the guy and asked him what was wrong. The reply was, "I don't know. As soon as you left I put the bear repellent on and..."
Old 07-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
My father tells me of a bush pilot in Alaska who was chartered to take a photographer somewhere into the wilds. As he was unloading the fellow, he noticed that he had no weapons. The pilot explained that this was grizzly country and he should borrow one of his rifles. The guy said he wasn't worried about it and didn't believe in guns. Finally the pilot prevailed on the photographer to take some bear repellent.
After taking off, the pilot circled the landing spot one time before heading home. Upon doing so he saw the photographer rolling around on the ground like mad. Thinking he was having a seizure, he quickly landed the plane and rushed over to the guy and asked him what was wrong. The reply was, "I don't know. As soon as you left I put the bear repellent on and..."
Too Funny!!!

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
Great Horned Owl

Default Grizzly Bear Fact File

Grizzly bears: a fact file - Telegraph

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Best one I've heard all day..No MONTH!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grizzly, kills, man, trail, yellowstone