Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Threatened & Endangered Species

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
Co-Administrator

Whooping Crane Saving Our Birds

Saving Our Birds
By John W. Fitzpatrick
August 29, 2014

The New York Times
Quote:
ITHACA, N.Y. — THE passenger pigeon is among the most famous of American birds, but not because of its beauty, or its 60-mile-an-hour flight speed. Nor is it a cherished symbol of our great country. No, we remember the passenger pigeon because of the largest-scale human-caused extinction in history.
... 100 years ago this week, the very last pigeon of her kind died in her cage at the Cincinnati Zoo. Her name was Martha, and her passing merits our close attention today.
Quote:
Martha is receiving plenty of eulogies this year, including several recent books and even a petition for a presidential proclamation honoring her centenary. I suggest that our most important eulogy would be to reflect on her species’ once great numbers, on the century that has passed since her death and on the century that begins today. We need to imagine Martha asking us, “Have you learned anything from my passing?”
Quote:
Perhaps the most significant conclusion is a simple validation: Timely conservation action really does work, even for species that have reached alarmingly low numbers.
Quote:
The State of the Birds report documents that for every success story, a number of other birds and their habitats are in serious danger. ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/31/opinion/sunday/saving-our-birds.html

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Circium, thank you for sharing.

It puts me in a somber mood, but it is well worth remembering...and I agree, the focus should be on the fact that conservation does work.

The quotes you picked are perfect. Thank you.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birds, saving