Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #31
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Use it or loose it.....

Well anyway, Here's another.... The dish drying racks now come WITHOUT the silverware bins. They're sold on the sly too!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #32
Official Plant Nerd

Ok.... here's a good one I just discovered. We've broken some of our glass rabbit water bottles. I bought another replacement and when I went to rinse it before using it.... the yellow rubber duckie fell out. I've been cleaning and rinsing the older water bottles for months and those rubber duckies don't come out but... it did on the newer water bottle. I thought it was fluke so I bought another one.... we seem to be breaking them a lot anyway and it's good to have one as a back up. Here's the new one.... that rubber duckie came right out too. Horrors.... shrinking rubber duckies of all things.... what a pain in the rear when you're cleaning them and they fall out headed for the drain. I know the cost of swapping out machinery that made the larger rubber duckie floats was passed onto us but.... I wonder what they were>>>>? Here's a photo of a box of our cereal. That's a total waste of resources with packaging like that not to mention all the air in the bag. And.... here's a photo of the old Dawn bottle and the new bottle. I still had the old container because I'm trying to get every last drop out of it. What I want to know is what happens to all the "old" equipment when they make an incremental "dupe the consumer" container change like this for marketing purposes? Lemme guess.... perfectly functional equipment that can't be scrapped is ending up in a landfill.
--
turttle> "Did you know that 8 1/2 x 11" paper isn't that size anymore? It is now 8"x 10 3/4"." I totally missed that and don't even remember having to adjust the tray on my printer.
Attached Thumbnails
Remember when an 8' 2x4 was 2" by 4" by 96"-img_5790.jpg   Remember when an 8' 2x4 was 2" by 4" by 96"-img_5739.jpg   Remember when an 8' 2x4 was 2" by 4" by 96"-img_5744.jpg  
Old 08-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #33
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Did you know that 8 1/2 x 11" paper isn't that size anymore? It is now 8"x 10 3/4". Just a little smaller. The store brands are cheap, but my kids refuse to use them for school because the texture is so bad they are hard to right on and they are so thin they rip if you look at them wrong. The name brands are amazingly expensive compared to a few years ago.

Index cards have shrunk as well.

Nothing like back to school shopping to make these things apparent. I noticed the paper size a couple of years ago, and looked everywhere for 8 1/2 x 11 paper, which is what was listed on the supply list and what I'd always purchased before, and it no longer existed in any brand. Sneaky marketting.
Index cards have not only shrunk, they are now flimsy almost to the point of being like regular paper. In the good old days, they were stiff and firm and durable - not anymore!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:07 AM   #34

I just saw loaf of bread for sale a slice of baloney would have runted.
If you ripped the edges off it, it would have disappeared!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #35
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I just saw loaf of bread for sale a slice of baloney would have runted.
If you ripped the edges off it, it would have disappeared!
Dear, sweet havalotta, those are made for hors d'oeuvres.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #36

no no nononononono It was REGULAR bread they skimped on......
I know a good cannibal sandwich type of bread when I see it!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #37

Quote:
no no nononono;0nono It was REGULAR bread they skimped on...
I figured it was, I was just teasing you.

Quote:
I know a good cannibal sandwich type of bread when I see it!
I had to look that one up! We don't have those around here...at least I have never heard of them before.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #38

I knew you were......I saw the winkie.

I looked up the cannibal sandwiches to see what they were showing for them...Those look totally wrong and disgusting.
They're not made on white bread nor topped off with big globs of ketchup.

Here's the way they should be made..... Cannibal sandwiches

Old 08-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #39
Official Plant Nerd

I'm from up by you and.... I'd never heard of a cannibal sandwich before!!! Is this a "hava household special" or widespread>>>? I guess maybe we didn't get out much where I'm from. BTW.... check the weight of the brand of bread you're buying and compare it to the same brand from around the holidays last year. We keep a big bag of plastic bags so we can recycle em. I shake out the crumbs and stuff the bread bag in the larger baggie bag.... I dug down a coupla months worth and found a bag from Like December and.... surprise surprise.... the brand we've been buying is reduced to 1 lb 8 oz for $4.29 instead of 1 lb 12 oz for $3.49. Another one that woulda totally slipped by me if your cannibal sandwich comments hadn't come up.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #40

Quote:
I knew you were......I saw the winkie.
Ommigod, you saw my winkie!? ~blush~

Tags
4 by 96, consumers, high priced, higher priced, less product, marketing, products, quality, quantity, reduction, remember when an 8 2x4 was 2, rip off