Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #41
Too Wild To Garden

raven

No, sage replicates by seed.
Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #42
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I take it you've a lot of seedling to pull then. Oh drat.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #43
Pope

Most impressive, Havalotta! In another home at another time I'd love to try this.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #44
Too Wild To Garden

raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I take it you've a lot of seedling to pull then. Oh drat.
Yes, but babies pull easily. Contrary to what one may think sage loves water and grows like crazy near gardens or lawns or where ever you may water regularly.

The plus side is that damaged high sage brush plateau restores quickly if you add a little water and pull the invaders out for a couple of seasons. The more water and deeper or richer the soil the bigger your sage gets
Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #45
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I have some concern about woody invasives that may propagate from cuttings resurrecting themselves if I use them in a Hugulculture bed. Has anyone any experience or comment on this?

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #46
A Bee's Best Friend

I don't think it would be a problem if buried deep enough but I would not take a chance with some stuff, like Japanese knotweed. If the cut back has been allowed to die and age a bit it should be no problem.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #47
A Bee's Best Friend

The beds that we made last year are working out wonderfully. I can not believe how well the squash, cucumbers and tomatoes are doing. The bed with the bush beans was planted rather late because of the cool spring and wet weather but so far looking good. I am impressed but will know more after a long dry August.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
Most impressive, Havalotta! In another home at another time I'd love to try this.
I must have done something right. Last week I pulled the tallest radishes out only to find they did not develop the swelled roots as they should have. I thought it might be due to too much nitrogen in a brand new bed but upon pulling the next tallest second time around (About a week later) They were HUGE!!!! Just needed room to grow I guess.

One thing I did find due to my two weeks of neglect (not pulling tienie tiny weeds) I now had a wonderful crop of tansy-nettle mix to yank out today. Boy oh boy do I have the pickies. Soooooo using that dandy bay debris did come with some baggage.

I knew enough NOT to put the seaweed in this year. Last years supply (Now that the phragmites are here) created many many many baby pragmites all over in the yard beds wherever I scattered it along with the finger cutting ZEBRA MUSSEL carapaces.
Invaders of all kinds ruined a good addition I used for many many years here.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #49
Rock Star

How awful about the invasives in the seaweed Havalotta.
The seaweed is such a good source of nutrients too.
When I started my 1st vegetable garden I followed the organic principles put forth in the Rodales Organic Gardening reference book and the one ingredient I had no access to was the seaweed to be used as fertilizer.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #50

If I had a huge compost pile (Which I don't) It probably could be used after it heated and killed the seeds and such. My waste and trimmings get tossed over the edge of the riffraff along the bay on one end of the property... After 22 years of heaving that must be a treasure trove of ingredients..... I'm HOPING to save it once the city crew digs out the area next year for their new drainage lines.
Something like.."Could you please pile up the debris on my side of the line, Uphill of course....Ooooooo good stuff!

Tags
brack, branches, brush, compost, dead wood, decomposed, decomposed wood, garden, gardening, hugelkultur, lasagna, layer, log, logs, moisture, plant, plants, retain, retain moisture, stick, sticks, twig, twigs, wood