Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Need a new energy efficient washing machine.... Help me pick one

Iíve been gone and came home to mountains of dirty clothes and a washing machine that was deader than a doornail from some unnamed kid of mine trying to save money at a laundry mat by washing a heavy car cover in MY washing machine WHILE I was gone. Iím sick of fixing mineÖ Iíve got so much money into repairing this thing I could have bought a new washer 4x over and thatís no joke. I think we've got a lemon. AnywhoÖ. I want a super water and energy efficient machine that can handle jeans and comforters if Iím going to break down and part with money for a new machine otherwise I might as well dump another $250 into repairing the one Iíve gotÖ. again. Itís been a long time since I bought a washer and I know a little about the energy star ratings. Problem is the energy star ratings donít tell you which ones are supposedly the best for energy and resource conservation. Has ANYONE had to buy a new washing machine lately who did the leg work? I found these machines rated real high, Best Washing Machines but.... I donít have a subscription to consumer reports to check em out. That new LG brand keeps showing up as top rated everywhere Iíve been looking butÖ. Iíve never heard of that brand before. This one is on sale for 30% off at Sears which makes it kind of affordable if I get reduced utility bills over the long haul, LG WM2701HV Washing Machines - Ultra Capacity Washer with wash motion technology - LG Electronics US. Iím desperate.... if somebody knows anything about washing machines and energy efficiencyÖ. paleeeease help me pick something before Iím buried alive in dirty laundry. I want a washing machine that's as green as can be without being a washtub and hand-powered washing board.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Fox

We have a top-load Fisher-Paykel that is a water saver, although I found it works even better if I include the extra soak and/or the extra rinse, so...

The machine was engineered to be simple and durable. The tub can be easily lifted out by unscrewing a large plastic wingnut in the center spindle. It also sprays soapy water over the clothes as they clean. And it finishes with a high-speed spin that gets most of the water out of the clothes. The cycles can be customized and it has a delay start feature.

It's been a great machine, but I'd be tempted to go with a front-loader next time. We didn't last time because I've heard people complain that front loaders often have mold/mildew issues (around the door seal) and vibration problems. And my sister's older Neptune has a surprisingly small capacity.

Gardenweb has exhaustive discussions of what's available. These people have really gotten into the zen of laundry. :-)
Laundry Room Forum - GardenWeb

edit: Just realized you asked about high-efficiency, and I'm not sure the Fisher-Paykel would qualify.
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Fox

While I'm on the subject of laundry, wanted to pass on a tip that someone told me. It works like magic to prevent musty odors:

Fill the water softener dispenser with white vinegar, so the final rinse is slightly acidic. Mildew prefers a basic environment, so it won't grow even if the clothes and towels are left damp in the washer for a day.

Maybe everyone who grew up in a humid environment knows this trick (?), but I grew up in an arid region so it was new to me.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Salamander

2cents

Everyone I know that has a front loader has regretted it.

I can't understand why they can't do it right for the home consumer when they've been making front loaders for commercial use in laundry mats for decades. These units are very efficient, if you use the RIGHT detergent, clean the seal after each use, allow door to stand open for drying after each use, etc.

I earned my online degree in "Appliantology" at this website, and I've always found they have the best reccomendations for nearly all classes of appliances. the Fisher-Paykel (sp?) reccomended above is a good unit, or so the Appliance Repair Samurai tells us.

I recently (Last summer) purchased a Whirlpool Cabria top loader and it is extremely efficient.

Take care!

Quietman

P.S. LG is a fine machine, just hope you never need service. Thier North American service network is in its infancy, and friends/associates who own these appliances have had to wait as long as six weeks as parts are brought in from Asia.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

We recently got the Whirlpool Cabria W/D when our 20 y/o washer quit. Right in the store I called my daughter who was complaining about something with the washer she just bought - it was the "no agitator", everything of course gets tangled up, esp. bedding. She said "make sure the washer has an agitator!" A year before that she unfortunately bought a new set of front loaders and hated them so much, sold them and bought a new set.

I love my Cabria set, the washer has an agitator and that model cost us $200 more than the same washer without the agitator. I think the mfr found out those didn't work right and gave the dealers big discounts to get rid of them. The washer has options like extra rinse etc., but it's not a real fancy one. The dryer is extremely efficient, drying huge loads likety-split! It used to take forever.

So Lib, I like Quietman, am pleased with the Cabria, just make sure you get an agitator! Also, I insisted on a large capacity washer...no sense doing two loads if you just do one.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

I found out there was some sort of an extra 15% refund if I would have bought an energy star rated washer tomorrow coming from the gov. I'm not buying tomorrow. Looks like the front loading LG that I thought was great isn't so great and I'm not going to screw around with some company that orders parts from Asia with boys in this house soooooo.... the LG is out. That leaves me with Calliandra's Fisher-Paykel, Clothes Washers - Laundry Appliance by Fisher & Paykel Appliances- US.... another one I've never heard of and the Whirlpool Cabria you two have, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02639032000P. I can't find any place close that sells the Fisher-Paykel but.... I did find two places a few towns over selling them so I can go check them out. From what I can see.... the Fisher-Paykel and the Whirlpool both have better ratings and they're a lot more affordable than the LG as in like half the price and I don't have to worry about mold or mildew problems that would make me have one of those front loader machines hauled out to the curb. I have zero tolerance for anything that is moldy in my house. The first time it smelled like mold would be the last time it was in my house so thanks for mentioning that since sure enough.... I went online and lots of people are saying the same thing. There was another problem with the front loaders. They're like 15" from the ground. No way do I want to be bending over to pull out heavy wet jeans and towels. They wanted another $219 for the base for that LG so you didn't break your back using the darn thing and they said it was "stylish" and had a drawer. Whoop ti do. I'm in the getting rid of "stuff" phase of my life and don't need a $200 storage drawer. What a ridiculous waste of money.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:00 AM   #7
Fox

Out of curiosity I googled Fisher-Paykel... wow, it's either love/hate with their washers.

I guess all I can say is that we've had good luck with our particular machine for the past six years. I did have to fiddle with the custom settings to get really dirty clothes clean (forced water level to high, add soak and rinse), and the tips of our agitator fins broke off because I overload the machine, but other than that it works great (even without the fin tips). Once we had something catch in the drain, but I just took the drum out and unscrewed the plate... very easy. I like simple things and the FP is simple.

It is electronic and a lot of plastic though, instead of having a mechanical dial and heavy metal parts like my old washer. But so far, so good, for me anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I can't find any place close that sells the Fisher-Paykel
Tried Lowes?

edit: Apparently the cabrio was based on the FP design.

edit: Can you believe people put videos of their washing machines on youtube???? You can sit at home watching someone else's laundry agitate. Bizarre... and I should stop stalling and get some sleep now. :-)
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fisher+paykel
Old 04-16-2010, 03:32 AM   #8
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
....She said "make sure the washer has an agitator!....So Lib, I like Quietman, am pleased with the Cabria, just make sure you get an agitator! .....
Now that you mention it, I remember they tried to sell me one with a glass lid (So you can watch your laundry instead of TV=more energy savings?) and the pancake like, buck rogers "non-agitator". At the time, I told the salesperson that "No agitator = no sale."

Quietman
Old 04-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Good for you! Can you imagine trying to untangle sheets, blankets, etc., all sopping wet?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Grub

We bought a small front load washer, after our 10 year old GE top loader stopped working. In top load machines with an agitator, its the transmission that fails. These are not easily repaired, and the part is very expensive to replace. There is a new design top load machine that has no transmission-the motor changes direction to provide agitation. They use an electronic control to achieve this. Our front load can be stuffed to capacity, and does a good job of getting clothes clean. We are not having any problem with musty smell, but we do leave the door open when the machine is not in use. The door gasket is large, and it has a fold that can stay damp for a while after the machine has been cycled. I like the front load, and would buy the same unit again. They are supposed to reduce wear and tear on clothing, but clothes that are repeatedly washed do wear out a bit, just like clothes that are repeatedly washed in a top load machine.
erictjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appliances, efficient, energy, energy star, front loader, high efficiency, machine, pick, top loader, washing, washing machine