Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Intelligence of trees

Never Underestimate the Intelligence of Trees - Issue 77: Underworlds - Nautilus

"We know old trees change their behavior to give advantages to their own kin. A parent tree will kill off its own offspring if they’re not in a good place to grow."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
Rock Star

Jack, I have been reading the book The Hidden Life of Trees; What They Feel, How They Communicate : Discoveries from a Secret World by Peter Wohlleben (2016). The article you referenced falls right in with the whole communication system of trees and plants.

As I understand it at this point this communication and helping happens in forests when trees are grouped naturally and not in commercial enterprises from trees that have been potted or burlaped which disturbs their roots.

I also read 4% of street trees die from street light exposure.

Fascinating subject.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #3
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
Jack, I have been reading the book The Hidden Life of Trees; What They Feel, How They Communicate : Discoveries from a Secret World by Peter Wohlleben (2016). The article you referenced falls right in with the whole communication system of trees and plants.

As I understand it at this point this communication and helping happens in forests when trees are grouped naturally and not in commercial enterprises from trees that have been potted or burlaped which disturbs their roots.

I also read 4% of street trees die from street light exposure.

Fascinating subject.
I'm familiar with the book you referenced and also found it excitingly fascinating. Symbiotic relationships between fungus, tree roots, and other organisms portray social, synchronized behavior for the success of allied species. It's truly amazing. I find myself wondering why everyone isn't talking about it.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 11-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
Grub

You might like this presentation by Suzanne Simard on the subject and her experiments. https://www.ted.com/talks/suzanne_si...age=en#t-14188 some trees don't share resources, her video says birch and fir share, but cedar doesn't. I find that curious and wonder what trees will create resilliant communties in urban/suburban settings, and which ones are selfish.
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip1909 View Post
You might like this presentation by Suzanne Simard on the subject and her experiments. https://www.ted.com/talks/suzanne_si...age=en#t-14188 some trees don't share resources, her video says birch and fir share, but cedar doesn't. I find that curious and wonder what trees will create resilliant communties in urban/suburban settings, and which ones are selfish.
Thanks for the link, Skip. It was fascinating. I found myself envying the speaker and the wonderful vocation she has developed for herself. What a wonderful way to make a living, truly learning more about how life behaves on the planet!!

Oracle at Delphi

Tags
intelligence, trees