Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

skull ~Cleaning - What's Safe to use?~

As my cleaning products run out, I'm wondering what I can use instead, because I probably never gave much of a thought to where these products go afterward. Then roger noticed an empty Lysol Bowl Cleaner in the trash so he replaced it before I got a chance to ask what else I could use.

I know WG isn't exactly "that" kind of site, but then if it can keep some of us from going elsewhere for the answers, that's good! Right?

I have 25 year old shower doors, need I say more? In can't get on my knees to de-grunge the glass and gasket, so Roger said we'd replace them. Then he saw how much that would cost.

If I go to Home Depot or somewhere, I'm sure they'll recommend a product I shouldn't use, right? So let's start here with some good alternatives to poisoning the planet!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Fox

pawprint You might try your pinterest site for 'cleaning solutions'

You might try making a thick paste from baking soda & water, I would NOT use it to clean my reading glasses, but for a shower door it might work, I doubt it sanitizes germs. I've had some success using it on tarnished silver plate items.

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Rock Star

There are a whole group of green products in stores like WholeFoods and health food stores. Wholefood rates them on the shelf from green to red and shades in-between.
It would be better to find these products online for a discount once you find what you like
using the rating system available.
I found a really good peppermint tub cleaner from a local vendor and any of the citrus based cleaners seem to be effective.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I normally use a 1:1:1 combo of vinegar, water, and rubbing alcohol for windows, polishing them after with crumpled newspapers. If you don't want to use alcohol 1/4 c. vinegar, 1/2 tsp liquid soap and 2c water works too.

For your shower doors try full strength vinegar, buy a gallon, and put it in a spray bottle to use. Let it soak for some time. If the soap scum and lime buildup is still stubborn, try any citric acid, like lemon juice. Remember RealLemon? I'd try it unless you live in California and have a lemon grove in your backyard.

I use Mrs. Meyer's on nearly every other surface, floors, counters, bathrooms, etc. It smells great! You could probably make your own and just add essential oils for that great scent.
Our Products | Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day | Mrs. Meyers

This is a great list of non-toxic cleaning products and recipes for specific uses.
http://www.pca.state.mn.us/index.php...html?gid=11368

I don't fall for all that disinfectant stuff. As long as it's clean, it's good enough, and ammonia and chlorine are nasty chemicals to use. It took me a good long while to give them up but now I think they did damage to my health while I was using them. There's been so much in the news recently about kids and allergies and too much concern with sanitizing everything but I'm not going there!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #5

Thanks! I'll start making switches now.

Any other ideas can be posted here too.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
Alternate POM Judge

Vinegar and baking soda works well. I've read that vinegar disinfects. I have not found anything that removes hard water stains. I just live with it. As long as things are clean I don't care about the stains
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
WG Staff

Default Non-Toxic Home Cleaning

Non-Toxic Home Cleaning

Non-toxic Home Cleaning & Care: Natural, Green, Eco-Friendly Solutions | Eartheasy.com
Quote:
Safe, non-toxic formulas, techniques and products for cleaning in your home:

1. Homemade Substitutions
2. Formulas
3. Healthy Home Cleaning Habits
4. Commercial Non-Toxic Household Products

Browse Eartheasy's non-toxic cleaning products...
Old 05-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #8

Thank you! Very good information. Somehow, over the years, i just accepted new cleaning products as they appeared, I fell into their trap, and forgot how we used to do it.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #9
Grub

Based on my experience making the same transition, but not having any shower doors as you describe, can say that if you want to get rid of that 25-year-old grunge, baking soda, patience and elbow grease will totally do the job. By means of proof of concept, I've been using baking soda for my glass top stove for a couple of years now, and by golly, it gets even that burned-on stuff off with patience and elbow grease

Also use it to swab the decks of my old-old-old, oil-soaked wood floors, though I don't think I'd recommend it if you have good hardwood floors. Every now and again I add vinegar to the mix in order to remove more of that oil.

Have yet to use it to clean the toilet or kitchen sink, but thanks for the inspiration. Difficult to give up the Comet I've always used, but by golly, I'm gonna try.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #10

Hmmm, is there a reason why Bon Ami is sometimes mentioned but not others cleansers?

Years ago, I would have gotten on my hands and knees to scrub the grout between the small ceramic tiles of the bathroom floors with toothbrushes! For being so clean, I got rewarded with two shot knees now. Maybe that's why those new spray and wipe products took hold.

The most grungy part of the shower doors are the bottom, where the glass meets the black gasket which meets the metal frame.

The cleaner we use for the ceramic top stove is pretty much citric acid so I thinks that's okay.

We mopped all the floors yesterday with white vinegar water! We will get the stuff in larger bottles now! And lots of baking soda, even if I don't bake!

Tags
alcohol, baking soda, bathrooms, clean, cleaning, cleaning products, counters, essential oil, floors, mrs. meyer's, non-chemical, non-toxic, safe, surface, vinegar