Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Small Space Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

Wellllll.... maybe we should do a survivor thread!!! At least now you know that once the trumpet vine goes dormant you can slop it in the storage closet for the winter. Next year you should probably water it at least once before you zoom down to FL. Even if you only put an inch or so of water in a drip tray to let it wick up that'd be better than nothing but it's looking pretty good on nothing!!! This is why I never toss a pot even when I think something's dead because I forgot it.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #12
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Hmmpphhh! I did water it before we left town...you told me to!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Oopsie.... I must have forgot. I'm glad I did though. Pots shouldn't be bone dry even if the plants in them are dormant. I'm really happy that one made it. You went out looking for it especially for your balcony I think. It's going to be a beauty. You don't have a really small can of kitchen scraps composting anywhere do you?
Old 05-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #14

HAHAHAAHA! The trash can takes up half the kitchen! If I could just empty the doggie box of pasta directly on to the plant, cut out the middleman, restaurant>plant, but would the plant like the marinara or balsamic glaze?

Hmmm, could I put salad scraps in the blender and pour the results over the trumpet vine?

Gotta shower and leave to hit at least four Pefa sites now...
Old 05-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

Funny you should mention that... I've become such a lazy composter I sometimes just pitch into the woods. Native plants don't normally need fertilizer but.... your plant's stuck in a pot so you might want to work in a little organic matter.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #16

Default ~Making a Balcony Jungle~

I know you're on pins and needles waiting for an update on the survivor, my Trumpet Vine! Today's shots:

Or not - just got error message - will this ever work...
Old 05-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #17

vBulletin Message
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #18

I got some plants today! Going to get more tomorrow before the carpet cleaner comes too, I'm so excited! If you have any "must haves" for my list, speak up now!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #19

Ok, then, I just piled plants onto the nursery carts, we came home, carpet cleaner guy showed up, I planted and planted, then we went to dinner, then came home and planted some more! It now seems I got more plants than I have pots for! Oh! Forget to say, I was picking plants in the rain with my hoodie pulled up!

So, let me try to show you what I've done so far...

~Making a Balcony Jungle~-p1010224.jpg

~Making a Balcony Jungle~-p1010225.jpg

~Making a Balcony Jungle~-p1010226.jpg

~Making a Balcony Jungle~-p1010227.jpg Salads in process!

~Making a Balcony Jungle~-p1010228.jpg

Getting these 5 pix uploaded took exactly TEN MINUTES. Clearly, at my age, I don't have that kind of time left.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #20
WG Operations, Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
vBulletin Message
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error

Sage,
The reason you are receiving this odd error message is because the size of your picture files are way too big. Probably in the 3.5 to 5 megabyte range. Picture files of this size are beyond Wildifegardener's auto photo resizing tool to reduce.

You need to reduce the pixel size of your photos before uploading them. Anything less than 3.0 megabytes seems to work. I've gotten the same error message as you. Once I reduced the file size of the photo, no problems.

The extended upload times are also due to the extremely large size of your photos. Solution: Reduce the file size of your photos prior to uploading them.

Your Balcony Jungle is gorgeous!!!

What are the names of the plants in your containers?

BooBooBearBecky

Tags
balcony, balcony jungle, balcony plaints, balcony plants, bipinnatus, caudatus, container gardening, container plants, containers, cosmos, cosmos caudatus, cosmos parviflorus, jungle, making, mexican aster, parviflorus, patio plants, plants in pots, potted flowers, potted plants, potted vines, small space gardening, sulphureus