Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #31
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

chicken

hava, that is one UGLY cat! Good luck with that!

Equil, then Cookie is good to go! She's toothless! A chick would fulfill her wildest dreams! Meanwhile, I'm still trying to imagine chickens running around the condo and leaping off the (unscreened) 2nd floor balcony. Let me get back to you on that!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #32
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Dappy> I'm totally serious. Doozer's getting some from us this year and Bulu might want some from us if he moves to a place where he can have chickens again!!! And you>>>? How many do you want to try hatching? I've got fantastic breeding lines here. A dozen eggs from the lines we've got go for $60 on up. Our babies aren't for sale though.... they're free to good homes. BTW.... we chose the lines we have because they're docile. Every one of our birds can be picked up at any time by anyone!!!
I must say that I'm somewhat tempted.

I'll show this post to Jeff...and then we'll have to really think about whether or not we want to try it...and when we will be ready. So far it has only been a vague idea in the back of my head.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #33
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Whoop whoop! I just found a home for the cat...fish. YEY
One more goldfish to go and my tank should have the proper balance once again.
I don't mind doing a monthly water change. When it comes to doing it every two weeks that's somewhat ok but having to do it weekly... that's becoming waaaaaay too much maintenance for me wanting to take on!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #34
Official Plant Nerd

Sage> Cookiecat's toothless, eh? You can have a chick then. Our cats weren't out to hurt the chicks when they were real little but.... there was glass between them and the chicks for about the 1st 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure our cats woulda sunk their teeth in em if they'd been given half a chance when they were real little. They grow pretty fast though so you've only gotta watch em like a hawk until they're about 2 lbs. Chickens may be bird brains but... our cats would be more likely to take a leap off a balcony than 1 of our girls. It took our girls a coupla weeks to risk walking out of the chicken door onto the landing that had a ramp to the ground that would have been all of maybe a 2' drop at the top if they'd fallen off. If it was pretty funny watching them. I had to pick them up and move them down the ramp for a while and getting them to go back up it was fun too. Chickens aren't exactly that adventuresome. They may get up onto a lower limb of a tree but that's about it. They're even more careful when the ground's frozen... none of ours will even get up on lower limbs right now. With the ground frozen, they'd be at risk of breaking a leg if they landed wrong on frozen ground dropping 2' to the ground and they must know it. You're good to go with an unscreened balcony.... what's your address.
--
hava> I was totally yanking your chain. I knew you were "desiring" her waffles and blueberries not hatching eggs. I took what you typed out of context on purpose!!!
--
Dappy> I'll have hatching eggs next year and the year after and probably the year after that. I'm ordering 10 more from 2 different breeders to make sure I don't ever end up with any chicks with 2 beaks or 3 legs and I will have a separate run by the end of this summer so my lines should stay strong. Our girls have leg bands so I know who is related to who and exactly where they came from. I know you've been tossing the idea around for a while. That's what I did before I took the plunge. 1 thing though, you can't go it without a coop and at least a small run or your babies would end up fodder for something or other. You might want to start checking around on Craigslist for a used coup or shed that could be converted. Be on the look out for hog panel and rolls of chicken wire too. We built ours from scratch but.... we got a lot of material donations and help because we had time on our side. I started stashing materials for a coop a few years before we actually built ours to help keep the costs down. I know you're a teacher so if you want eggs for kids at school to hatch out until you figure out what you want to do or even if you want to do anything.... that's cool too. You'd have no problems finding folk to take in Black Ameraucana and Blue Orpington chicks after the kids were done watching them hatch. Those are highly desirable and hard for folk to get their hands on. One ad on Freecycle and they'd be gone before you could bat an eyelash you and Jeff wouldn't have to worry about getting stuck with any.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Dappy> I'll have hatching eggs next year and the year after and probably the year after that. I'm ordering 10 more from 2 different breeders to make sure I don't ever end up with any chicks with 2 beaks or 3 legs and I will have a separate run by the end of this summer so my lines should stay strong. Our girls have leg bands so I know who is related to who and exactly where they came from. I know you've been tossing the idea around for a while. That's what I did before I took the plunge. 1 thing though, you can't go it without a coop and at least a small run or your babies would end up fodder for something or other. You might want to start checking around on Craigslist for a used coup or shed that could be converted. Be on the look out for hog panel and rolls of chicken wire too. We built ours from scratch but.... we got a lot of material donations and help because we had time on our side. I started stashing materials for a coop a few years before we actually built ours to help keep the costs down. I know you're a teacher so if you want eggs for kids at school to hatch out until you figure out what you want to do or even if you want to do anything.... that's cool too. You'd have no problems finding folk to take in Black Ameraucana and Blue Orpington chicks after the kids were done watching them hatch. Those are highly desirable and hard for folk to get their hands on. One ad on Freecycle and they'd be gone before you could bat an eyelash you and Jeff wouldn't have to worry about getting stuck with any.
Your posts sure do make me think about the reality of having chickens. That's good. I *think* we (you and I) mentioned that I could probably convert part of the garage (barn?) into a chicken coop...I'm not sure how I feel about that...but it is an option--remember how I'm struggling with where to put a couple of apple trees because they don't fit the vision I have for the property...now I'd have to add a chicken run! I've got a lot to think about. I do like the idea to some degree, but I wonder if I'm just better off finding a local farmer who sells fresh eggs.

As for hatching eggs for kids at school--cool idea. Although we both work at schools neither of us are teachers (just and FYI ). I could see someone doing it at the school for the deaf more so than at my school...and, like you said, we could find homes for them if we had to...I used to work with a kid who raised them...I think the very breeds you are talking about. I'll keep it all in the back of my mind and let it simmer. ~smile~

Thanks for the offer.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #36
Great Horned Owl

Corn muffins, hmmm. does GMO come to mind when you think of corn muffins??? That way, you can feed your GMO corn muffin leftovers to your now GMO'd chickens and be GMO'd yourself... I know - wet blanket... but an interesting thought...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #37

Yes, Jack, that thought does come to mind, especially since they came from Boston Market, with one of our final such take-outs. What are the chances of the muffins NOT coming from GMO corn?
Old 02-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
That way, you can feed your GMO corn muffin leftovers to your now GMO'd chickens and be GMO'd yourself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Yes, Jack, that thought does come to mind...
Maybe I'm missing something, but how could eating something GMO'd be able to genetically modify one's own DNA? That doesn't make sense to me.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #39

dap, wait til Equil checks in here...she'll 'splain it to us
Old 02-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #40

In the meantime...Dine Out Non-GMO

Tags
corn, leftover, muffins