Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Heron

Equil:

You can "Can" on low heat as long as it is over a very long length of time. (I know you know this) . As you said though you are going to lose texture.

Am I understanding you right that you say they are cooling it quick to quickly get pass the temp that bacteria likes to grow in?

I would hope it is all dead inside a can - spores and all and this is just -- -- surely not the reason they cool it fast to keep the bacteria from having a warm place to grow -- surely it is to keep what is left of the texture of the meat, stew or what ever?

After all "Cans" are going to be sitting in hot ware houses, trucks and stores----

I discussed this canning of meat with my mother this morning.
She said even the old timers were scared/wary/extremely careful of canning the meat and tended to not "can" their meats, or stews, or soups ----- and they did can about everything else just not that.

We did have a local cannery in our town long ago and they did can a pig for us one time .

If you think about it - even when these companies have tons of the right equipment -- the canned stuff is just on the edge of being a bit too mushy, a bit too soft, a bit too something. Canned ham is okay ever once in a while. Corned beef is okay occasionally -- chicken lacks something compared to the freshly cooked and frozen. -- well even big companies are making the best that can be made -- and it still is not as good as the fresh/frozen -- and that includes those stew and soups they make.

I think that the only reason they are as good as they are is because of MSGs.

As Hazelnut was telling us in the thread of what stuff is being added to our food -- MSGs it not only fools the mouth/ taste buds but the pancreas too.

I am sorry about your husband's mitochondria disease in his liver.
My hubby has a mitochondria disease of his muscles.

The mitochondria website it says to stay away from MSGs.

You may be thinking something can be done that really can't be done.

I myself -- slobbering, drooling - would love to have is a freeze dry machine.

I wonder if I had one of those I could make something like those green beans they sell in bags -- or do they add MSGs to them too?

A freeze dry machine - now wouldn't that be something to have.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

My take after reading those articles was they were cooling down quick so their summary F values remained within approved ranges. Sometime when you've got a half hour or so.... go back through those articles.
--
I find canned meats just fine for what I use them for.... they're definitely not good on grills though.
--
Processed foods are laced with MSGs. We really don't eat hardly any processed foods around here. I do use Campbell's creamed soups in some recipes though. I keep meaning to make my own condensed soups but never got around to it.
--
Freeze dried.... have you ever tasted that? You sure you really want a freeze dry machine?
Old 02-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
Heron

You mean those freeze dried packages like the army has for rations. No - I have not.

I was thinking pretty roses and like I said green beans-- oh and strawberries one time!
They were great!

Before I would buy one -(not likely)- I would have to research it more what it did to each food.

What do you know about freeze dried food; Equil?
Tell me?
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

Uh huh.... those freeze dried military rations. We used to pick em up at army surplus stores for the kids when they were little. Some are marginal and some less than marginal. I'm sure they'd all taste really great if I was starving to death.
--
I don't know much about freeze dried food other than it's got an incredibly long shelf life and.... a lot of it tastes like doggie do do.

Tags
canned, canning, food preservation, jar, jars, meal, meals, meatballs, pressure, recipes, soups, stews, wanted