Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Tomato Paste canning recipe

Would someone check this out and tell me if it looks ok or not, How to make homemade canned tomato paste, from fresh tomatoes - easy and illustrated!. It looks really close to the one in my Ball Complete Book of Canning.... actually... it looks the same. There was another 1 out there from Dummies.com for Thick and Rich Tomato Paste that had a twist in that it called for shredded carrots, Thick and Rich Tomato Paste - For Dummies. They suggested romas.... which I've got a lot of but said any tomato would work.
Yield: 5 pints
15 pounds ripe tomatoes
4 bell peppers (2 red and 2 green)
3 medium onions
4 carrots
3 to 5 cloves of garlic
Old 09-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

It's coming through ok...

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
WG Operations, Facilitator

Well the ingredients listed on a can of store bought tomatoe paste reads: tomato pulp. That's it. LOL!!

The first link you posted sure has nice directions and pictures for making tomato paste.

I think tossing in a couple of carrots wouldn't really change the flavor all that much, and it's probably a good way to add some vitamin A.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I heard the dishwasher method of sterilization is not so good to use anymore.
Equill and I both clean ours in the dishwasher but then go on to one more step using a 250 degree oven......
She just sets them in and I invert them in a shallow cookie sheet filled with water to steam just as I was taught.
Either way works....

Tomatoes no longer have as much acid in them as they once had. Being so....You must now add 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice per quart to can up proper. I don't recall where I read it anymore but it has also been determined water baths are no longer safe when canning tomatoes.
You should "Always" use a pressure canner with them.

A paste recipe that uses the pressure canner method would be best if you could find one written so.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

We're pretty much being told to pitch all canning books that weren't updated after 1995. That came up and the USDA site on canning covers the whys in their introduction, http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...Home%20Can.pdf. I know a lot of folk still using water baths for canning tomatoes and it's not like folk are dropping like flies but... tomatoes aren't as acidic as the tomatoes of our parents' era and definitely not as acidic as the tomatoes of our grandparents' era plus... there's new pathogens floating around that they didn't have to deal with so.... I pretty much read the literature and decided to go with the flow and move to a pressure canner for meats and low acid veggies. Now here's where it gets weird.... the USDA site comes right out and tells us to "always" use a pressure canner for tomatoes but check out their pdf for tomatoes and tomato products, http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...Home%20Can.pdf. No paste recipe and some of their other recipes instruct us to add store bought canned paste. If that doesn't beat all since even my Ball book is recommending a water bath canner for paste or instructing us to add store bought canned pastes to some of their recipes and my Ball book publication date was 2006. Go figure. There are no paste recipes using a pressure canner anywhere that I can find. Every recipe uses a hot water bath canner. I'm wondering if the process of stirring and simmering the tomatoes indefinitely concentrates the tomatoes to the extent that there's enough acid to make paste safe for preserving in a water bath canner>>>? That's all I can think of otherwise not 1 pressure canner recipe anywhere that I can find for paste. Anywhooo... here's a link to their entire publication available online in PDFs, National Center for Home Food Preservation | USDA Publications. It's nice enough and it's free. I like free.

Tags
canning, food, food preservation, paste, preservation, preserve, preserving, recipe, tomato, tomato paste, tomatoes