Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Recipes (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/recipes/)
-   -   How to make Pasta from scratch in 5 minutes (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/recipes/11505-how-make-pasta-scratch-5-minutes.html)

Equilibrium 04-12-2013 11:05 AM

How to make Pasta from scratch in 5 minutes

Here’s something I tried with Black Aztec corn I’d ground down into a flour. I didn’t have a lot…. the mice got to my corn stash but I did have enough to experiment with. My pasta looked really pretty and you could tell it woulda made a fantastic blue tortilla chip but…. not so good for making noodles so the next time I try this…. I’ll use flour that’s finer. Btw…. it really is as simple as he says it is making your own noodles from scratch. 100 grams of flour will vary because of humidity and the type of flour you’re using but since I’m too lazy pulling out the scale…. I’d just start with about 2/3 C of a flour and a semolina mix. You’ll be adding flour as you go anyway. If you don’t have a pasta roller…. just kneed your dough by hand. And…. if you’re doing this in summer when the humidity is high…. you might want to let your noodles dry out for about a half hour or so.

havalotta 04-15-2013 10:09 PM

Mmmm Posting a little note, to remind me to come back and watch it.

BooBooBearBecky 04-17-2013 04:07 PM

I roll my noodles out with a rolling pin, and cut them with a pizza cutter.

Long time ago I owned the Ronco Pasta Maker. Wow....Awesome machine and awesome pasta. It worked for 15 years before one of the plastic parts broke. I've thought about replacing it, but the newer models of the Ronco Pasta Maker aren't rated very high. In other words you're better off picking up the the older model at goodwill or a garage sale.

Homemade pasta is delicious!

soundsgood 04-21-2013 06:54 AM

Been away a while between winter and work, and spend the morning catching up with y'all over coffee now things are getting in the ground.

Delighted to learn of your progress in the last six months.

Pasta! Yeah! Started doing that last year for the first time and by golly, a huge change for the better.

Pasta was the gateway food to making my own crackers.

Just recently started grinding flour and experimenting with that. Most recent result: buckwheat crackers. OMG.

These are the first recipes I've been making modifications to:

Rosemary Crackers for LindaMc - Home Cooking - Chowhound

Rustic Water Crackers Recipe at Epicurious.com

Rather than using cookie or baking sheets, I use parchment on top of a stone.

Equilibrium 04-21-2013 08:46 AM

4B> a rolling pin works perfectly fine!!! hava gave me a Ronco. I was really excited about it. I bought forms for it. So far I've used it once and it did great. Here's hoping it was an older model so I get 15 years out of it!!! It's a definite time saver.
--
sounds!!!! Long time no hear. I was just thinking about you the other day when I looked at a tray of grilled egg shells out in the garage!!! I've got my containers of the "good stuff" ready to go for this season.... those egg shells were left over that I forgot to give to people to "experiment" with.
--
Last year I made graham crackers and saltines for the 1st time. I was surprised how easy they were to make too. I've been growing some herbs and the 1st recipe you posted looks like the 1 I'll give a spin 1st only because I'll be in the mood to experiment soon as I can start harvesting some of my herbs.
--
There are 3 crackers we used to buy a lot that I'd like to find recipes for... Ritz, Wheat Thins, and Triscuit. There are no organic options for those so I just flat out stopped buying them except for New Year's Eve. I did try a few Ritz recipes I found online.... none of them I tried tasted like Ritz and I ended up giving em to the chickens. Same thing with the 1 Wheat Thin recipe I experimented with.... it tasted ok but.... not even close to tasting like a Wheat Thin store bought cracker. I never could find a Triscuit recipe to try but... I'd like to since that's the cracker we used to like the best out of all the store bought crackers.
--
Here's a good tortilla chip recipe starter if anyone wants it, Flour Tortillas Recipe - Food.com - 88287. I use butter instead of shortening. All you do after you make the tortillas is cut them into wedges and put them on a baking sheet then brush on some olive oil and bake at 350 until they look right. Just be careful if you're using blue flour because they don't darken up to the eye without pulling out the sheet.

dapjwy 04-21-2013 09:19 AM

Welcome back, soundsgood. :)...and you brought crackers--well a recipe for them anyway. When I started making bread, it got me wondering about making crackers. I guess I never got around to looking into it, but you've reawakened the idea in me. They do seem ridiculously simple...and I love the idea of adding herbs.

dapjwy 04-21-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 131483)
--
sounds!!!! Long time no hear. I was just thinking about you the other day when I looked at a tray of grilled egg shells out in the garage!!! I've got my containers of the "good stuff" ready to go for this season.... those egg shells were left over that I forgot to give to people to "experiment" with.
--
Last year I made graham crackers and saltines for the 1st time. I was surprised how easy they were to make too. I've been growing some herbs and the 1st recipe you posted looks like the 1 I'll give a spin 1st only because I'll be in the mood to experiment soon as I can start harvesting some of my herbs.
--
There are 3 crackers we used to buy a lot that I'd like to find recipes for... Ritz, Wheat Thins, and Triscuit. There are no organic options for those so I just flat out stopped buying them except for New Year's Eve. I did try a few Ritz recipes I found online.... none of them I tried tasted like Ritz and I ended up giving em to the chickens...

What did I miss with the egg shells? Could someone fill me in?

What, you made a batch of crackers and never even offered me a taste?!

I haven't had Triscuits in a while, but I've always liked them and Saltines, not so with Ritz. For some reason, I've never cared for them...Jeff, however, loves 'em.

Equilibrium 04-21-2013 10:13 AM

The kids liked Ritz with homemade horseradish cheese spread. We all liked Wheat Thins with artichoke dip and.... Pillsubury loved Triscuits with aged cheddar. I don't buy them anymore except for New Year's Eve because I made the mistake of whipping out my magnifying glass and reading the labels on them a coupla years ago. Saltines are easy enough to make from scratch and they turn out like.... drum roll please.... Saltine Crackers. My graham crackers didn't taste like store bought IMO. They tasted good... just different. After a feew years we won't remember what the store bought graham crackers tasted like so it won't matter.
--
Dappy> Uh huh.... I made a few batches of crackers and you didn't get any. A few were great... most were so so and some were total disappointments.
--
Yup.... you missed a 5 star thread. You GOTTA do this.... it's so easy, http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...carcasses.html Just save your eggshells then follow the 1st video she posted. I'll be spraying my plants with it this year!!!

dapjwy 04-21-2013 10:47 AM

Thanks for the link, but not for rubbing it in that you didn't share your crackers with me.

I am excited to know that the Saltine cracker recipe is a good one.

soundsgood 04-21-2013 01:54 PM

:) Yay! Yippee! XOXOX

So now we got crackers, who's bringing cheese (rennet just in for my first mozzarella soon)? Pasta with what sauce for entree? My romaine and spinach won't be ready for weeks. Hmmm. What for salad and what for dessert?

Pal o' mine recently sent this recipe she swears tastes like wheat thins. Rather than spend a fortune on almond flour, I tried to grind some in my mill and no joy, just gummed it up. So I guess you gotta buy the almond flour or have the proper grinder to do this:

ALMOND THINS - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

I would LOVE to be able to make Triscuits at home.