Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Rain Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2020, 09:16 PM   #371
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I don't nap either. Not so far anyway but I do fall asleep very easily once dinner time is done 6-7pm and downtime on the couch starts as once I begin my day I'm pretty much non stop throughout it but to eat a bit while checking what's new on the compute.

My only hope is that with all their favorites gone they will hightail it into the neighbors yard.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:35 PM   #372
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I don't nap either. Not so far anyway but I do fall asleep very easily once dinner time is done 6-7pm and downtime on the couch starts as once I begin my day I'm pretty much non stop throughout it but to eat a bit while checking what's new on the compute.

My only hope is that with all their favorites gone they will hightail it into the neighbors yard.
~smile~

They probably will just move on.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:03 PM   #373

I am still plugging away.

I like how things are shaping up. Joining the two ponds visually is working out nicely...if a bit slowly (heat and humidity keep me from making longer and faster strides). I now have to decide if I should join them in such a way that I could have water recirculate between them. That was not the original plan. Originally, I had planed this to be more of a wetland and less of a pool, but like having another body of water.

The pump that I have is intended to connect the largest pond with the original, smaller pond near the top of the slope and spill through a series of pools into the largest pond. I may have to use a smaller pump to just create a trickle from the "dry creekbed" to the last pool. I could leave a dry area on the higher side for a walkway...this would also make it look like, with more rain, a large rush of water would fill the whole outlet stream.

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-psx_20200801_222754.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-psx_20200801_223011.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-psx_20200801_224615.jpg
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-04-2020, 11:48 AM   #374

I don't think i'm envisioning things right.
I thought..... the beginning of the stream was near your home and then on down the hill to a pond or two.
Is that the case and those being the two ponds near it's end or is that your stream in it's entirety?

Hard to tell if the grey areas are paths or a streambed flow

Old 08-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #375

Quote:
I don't think i'm envisioning things right.
I thought..... the beginning of the stream was near your home and then on down the hill to a pond or two.
Is that the case and those being the two ponds near it's end or is that your stream in it's entirety?

Hard to tell if the grey areas are paths or a streambed flow
Sorry for the confusion.

The two ponds are at the bottom...and i am adding a stream and/or dry streambed path to join them.

I have not yet dug out the stream into the slope or the pools for it to spill into. The original pond is at the top, but, until I rework it, it is currently more of a wetland filled with artowhead and a couple other water lovers (it blends into the surrounding vegetation and is lost in it).

I drew a rough (and totally inaccurate) "stream" from the top to the two lower ponds. The actual design will follow the lay of the land and (should) look much better than this.

I have added soil from the excavation to fill in low spots and level out the path along the slope. Also, I put down a liner and dumped soil near the top where I plan a rocky outcropping. That likely added to your confusion.

Yes, you are right that the pond starts nearer the house (but, again, it needs redone).
Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20200804_161404.jpg
Old 08-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #376

Quote:
but, until I rework it, it is currently more of a wetland filled with arrowhead and a couple other water lovers (it blends into the surrounding vegetation and is lost in it).
Isn't that exactly what you've been striving for?
Nothing wrong with a wetland filled with plants and blending in with it's surroundings.
Looking like it's been there all along sounds perfect!

Just add a return hose up to that wetland at the top and let nature make the decisions for you as far as what vegetation survives in a now circulating pool .

Old 08-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #377

I like the movement of your stream very much down that slope!

Old 08-05-2020, 10:33 PM   #378

Quote:
Isn't that exactly what you've been striving for?
Nothing wrong with a wetland filled with plants and blending in with it's surroundings.
Looking like it's been there all along sounds perfect!

Just add a return hose up to that wetland at the top and let nature make the decisions for you as far as what vegetation survives in a now circulating pool .
I am happy to have a wetland...but I picture it at the bottom...and along the edges of the ponds. I will have to fix the top pond, but I hope to leave some of the wetland species along the edges. It has been there long enough that it does look like it has been there forever. I hope to add a new liner, and disguise it with the aged rocks and shrubs already there.

I like the idea of letting the water push its own path through.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:37 PM   #379

Quote:
I like the movement of your stream very much down that slope!
Thank you.

The slope lends itself to a stream...over the years, i have realized that a stream alone would not look right, but spilling from pool to pool should look great.

Just today, I was getting a better idea of how to best use the natural terrain of the slope.

I am confident that the final stream and pools will look better than my quick drawing.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:18 PM   #380

I was very productive today.

I began digging out a mini-wetland to adjoin the main pond and make it blend better with the outlet stream and dry creekbed path I am creating.

I moved the "river rock" I threw onto a liner as I dug the large pond last year, piled them in pots, and removed the liner that had been smother weeds. The soil should be easy to dig out for one of the pools on the slope.

And, I moved some large rocks down to where I will be using them. The picture is not the final placement...just my attempt to make them look like one, even larger rock.
Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-psx_20200805_174704.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-psx_20200805_153426.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-psx_20200805_153521.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-psx_20200805_210502.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-psx_20200806_112639.jpg

Last edited by dapjwy; 08-06-2020 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Trying to repost last photo right side up

Tags
bog, build, install, installation, make, natural, planning, pond, pond building, ponds, possibly, rocks, stream, streambed, streams, water, water features, water garden, waterfall, watergardening

« Pond Surprise! | - »