Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Rain Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Pond Surprise!

Being home, I have walked my trails most days...I jump from project to project...and, now, regular maintenance like mowing. I visit the pond, or, at least, walk past it a few times a day. The frogs still get startled and dive underwater when I approach.

Today, I was standing on the lower edge where I am closer to the water's surface...when I saw them. At first, I assumed they were tadpoles, even though my mind immediately told me they were fish. I didn't want to get my hopes up.

Fish fry. Babies. I was shocked, but thrilled to see them. Now, where did they come from...and what kind are they? The most likely answer is they are descendants of the minnows I put in that I purchased from a bait shop. I was almost certain they all had died over the first two or three days after I put them in. I did acclimate them first...but I figured they were for bait and were likely not very hardy having been raised crowded together (yet with plenty of oxygenated water)...or, my water did not have high enough oxygen for them despite the recirculating pump. I counted the bodies floating to the surface...and I guess it is possible that 2 or even a few survived. This seems most likely. The other possibility is that they were brought here as eggs stalk to a bird visiting another pond.

Pond Surprise!-psx_20200503_110141.jpg

Time will tell if they mature, and I can identify them. Hopefully, I have a record of the fish I added.

I had wanted black-nosed dace which my dentist recommended, but the bait shop didnt carry them. When the quarantine is lifted, and social distancing is no longer an issue, my dentist is supposed to share some black-nosed dace and some bluegills with me (I guess he never got around to it last year).

Originally, I didn't plan on adding fish, but I have always loved watching them ate the various bodies of water I have visited where I could see them. They provide so much added interest...and another step in the food web--if they attract king fishers and/or herons, so be it. When digging out the pond, I created a ledge or two for fish to hide and evade predators. I just hope there can be a balance.
Pond Surprise!-psx_20200503_110345.jpg

Pond Surprise!-psx_20200503_110741.jpg
I am thrilled to have them. I hope I can watch them grow...and hope they will be self-sustaining.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Proud daddy are weeeeee. I'm so happy for you!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #3
Grub

Cool, I have heard of fish coming in with birds. I think maybe even some birds bring fish to ponds to increase their food sources. Dont remember where I heard that so take it with a grain of salt, but it stuck with me.
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #4
Grub

Nature is so amazing. Especially when we’re leaving it alone or giving it a tiny leg up.
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Proud daddy are weeeeee. I'm so happy for you!

I really am thrilled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip1909 View Post
Cool, I have heard of fish coming in with birds. I think maybe even some birds bring fish to ponds to increase their food sources. Dont remember where I heard that so take it with a grain of salt, but it stuck with me.
I like that idea...but, yes, I will take it with a grain of salt...maybe I will.even look it up some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Nature is so amazing. Especially when we’re leaving it alone or giving it a tiny leg up.
Yes, it is amazing.

That said, it is entirely possible that these are descended from a couple survivors from.my bait shop purchase.

I guess I will know more if I find that they are a different species than what I purchased. I have yet to see them again...the water is not very clear beyond a couple of inches. I guess I was pretty lucky to see them at all!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-09-2020, 09:45 AM   #6
Offical Silphium Abuser

You really are rewilding your little patch of the world. Good going!

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
You really are rewilding your little patch of the world. Good going!
<big smile>

Thank you, Rebek!

I am thrilled. ...and, despite my frustration with battling invasives and the delay in getting my meadow spread over the entire field, I have had a lot of successes.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #8
Great Horned Owl

Very cool. I'll be interested in how they mature, if they're not already mature. Yeah, off a birds leg as seeds, or those minnows from the pon's past; good mystery!!! But congrats!!!! Nice when the wildlife arrives!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Very cool. I'll be interested in how they mature, if they're not already mature. Yeah, off a birds leg as seeds, or those minnows from the pon's past; good mystery!!! But congrats!!!! Nice when the wildlife arrives!!!
I can't wait to see them mature, too. They definite look very young to me.

Thanks. I am excited.

...unfortunately, I have not seen them since...the water is not very clear, and I assume they are not at the surface often.

Tags
pond, surprise