Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Rain Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Dap, an alternative to netting, given the leaves more blow in rather than fall into the water, is to put up a barrier of some kind that thewould stop the leaves. I have a very low tech fence that does that, which is now covered in Jessamine. Or plant shrubs to do the same thing. I have oaks and maples dropping stuff directly into my pond, and I ended up with very tight mesh netting since the cheap stuff was useless.
I have already begun planting some shrub along a slope and a path that leads to where the pond now is. at the time, it was just a design choice...but, as they grow in, they may act as a fence to block some leaves from blowing in. I am fortunate not to have any branches overhanging the pond. I am thinking that I may be able to use a net to skim out any leaves that blow in.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I also miss everyone being on WG. I got out of the habit. I will try to get back in!
~smile~

I have been developing the habit of checking in more often. Lately, I have been getting even better. Now that more people are checking in and posting, I think we will begin to become a bit more active again.

Thank you for posting, turttle...I hope you find more time to check in and post--and find more others doing the same.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Turttle:
No... I do not empty it however I do leave a piece of driftwood in it to help the birds find their way out should one fall in and....to allow for a bit of expansion as I had heard if there's nothing in the pond for the ice to expand upon (Some use empty milk jugs) it might put too much pressure on the sides and split. I've a hard core Hmmmm plastic pond not a rubber lined which would move with the groove of the expansion better in this climate

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #13
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Dap I buy cheep round wire rimmed nets and stomp on one side to make the bottom of it flat so it hugs and gathers more at the bottom. They sell them in a square design too but they costs more

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:36 PM   #14
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Dap I buy cheep round wire rimmed nets and stomp on one side to make the bottom of it flat so it hugs and gathers more at the bottom. They sell them in a square design too but they costs more
Thanks, havalotta.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ionizers, ponds, small