Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #121
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdenk View Post
I have one more entry. I only uploaded three the other day in case I got some last minute shots in, and this morning I led a foray for the Illinois Mycological Association in woods near my home, and did get some interesting shots.

This one is a close-up of a Bird's Nest Fungus, Cyathus striatus. The "eggs" in the nest are packets of spores. When it rains, if a raindrop lands in the "nest", it will rupture the spore packet and throw the spores out into the air. A weird method of spore dispersal, but they're quite common, so it apparently works well.

John

Attachment 25246
Great photo! It has that nice three dimensional feel.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #122
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

The coupling butterflies is my favorite, but I took this later in the day and decided it was worth sharing too.
Attached Thumbnails
~JULY 2011 Photo Contest~-dragonfly-barn-shadow.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #123
Salamander

dragonfly01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
The coupling butterflies is my favorite, but I took this later in the day and decided it was worth sharing too.
I like the design and composition in this photo. The shadows of the leaves are mirrored in the shape of the dragonfly and the straight grain of the background (wood?) provides contrast.
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #124

Thank you, scarecrowsdrm.

When the dragonfly first landed on the wood siding of the barn, it was closer to the shadows and I thought it would make an excellent photo. I guess I scared it when I moved the camera. It flew off only to return a short time later, but not quite in the same place. I'm glad you still think it is a good composition--I imagined that its first placement was better, but I really lucked out that it came back!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #125
Salamander

Quote:
I have one more entry. I only uploaded three the other day in case I got some last minute shots in, and this morning I led a foray for the Illinois Mycological Association in woods near my home, and did get some interesting shots.

This one is a close-up of a Bird's Nest Fungus, Cyathus striatus. The "eggs" in the nest are packets of spores. When it rains, if a raindrop lands in the "nest", it will rupture the spore packet and throw the spores out into the air. A weird method of spore dispersal, but they're quite common, so it apparently works well.

John

Attachment 25246
The bird's nest fungi photo is stunning; I had to come back and look at it several times. Lovely contrasts in color and form, and exceptional composition. I haven' t seen this fungi before, and am delighted to see a photo of it. Nature's ingenuity truly at work.
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:00 AM   #126
Heron

Thanks scarecrowsdrm, glad you like that shot. They're a favorite species of mine to photograph, and that's my best shot of them, so far. Instead of my usual grab and run style of photography, I took the time to use a tripod and a wired remote to trigger the camera, no flash, so the exposure was 2 seconds long at f/22 which gave me sufficient depth of field. Unfortunately, I couldn't take the time to photograph them more, as I was leading a mushroom foray and we had to move on. This photo was cropped from a wider shot, so it was a little bit of a grab instead of carefully composed.

John
Old 07-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #127

Quote:
...I took the time to use a tripod and a wired remote to trigger the camera, no flash, so the exposure was 2 seconds long at f/22 which gave me sufficient depth of field.
Very cool. Makes me want to set up the tripod and see what I can do.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #128
The Bug Whisperer

This months' efforts - A tiger beetle near Moncove Lake in Monroe Co. WV, sunset over Minot ND (flood-swollen Souris River in foreground), the banks of the Souris River where it flows through our farmstead near Minot (the water level is nearly 20' above where it normally is at this time of year), and a baby toad (less than an inch long) found near my brother's grain bins on the prairie more than a mile from the river.
Attached Thumbnails
~JULY 2011 Photo Contest~-100_4355.jpg   ~JULY 2011 Photo Contest~-100_4415.jpg   ~JULY 2011 Photo Contest~-100_4409.jpg   ~JULY 2011 Photo Contest~-100_4431.jpg  

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #129
Heron

I particularly like the Tiger Beetle, suunto, they're fascinating, and can be tricky to photograph. Any idea what species it is? Seems like the only one I ever see here is the Six-spotted Tiger Beetle, which is a beauty, but I'd like to photograph more kinds of them.

John
Old 07-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #130

I especially like the sunset and the markings on the toad.

Tags
2011, bugs, contest, flowers, free, free contest, insects, july, native insects, natives plants, nature, photgraphy contest, photo, photo contest, photo of the month, photographers, photographs, photography, photography contest, pictures, plants