Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #21
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Great pictures--I especially love the third one with the shelf mushrooms!

The last one should probably be posted in the scat appreciation thread!
Thanks; the flies on the meadow muffin are appropriately enough known as dung flies (Diptera: Scathophagidae), but they are not there to lay eggs - they actually are predators on other insects that are attracted to the dung.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #22
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Thanks; the flies on the meadow muffin are appropriately enough known as dung flies (Diptera: Scathophagidae), but they are not there to lay eggs - they actually are predators on other insects that are attracted to the dung.
"Meadow muffin"--LOL! Never heard it called that before... ...much better than a "cow pie".

Interesting fact that they are predators of others attracted to the dung.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #23
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Yikes! Brave of you suunto to post dung flies on the photo of the month contest, but then again, I know you love your bugs!

Love the shelf shrooms BTW.

Fox vixen and kit, so great - hard to top that shot!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #24
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Wow! Amazing photos, everyone! I believe that this contest is supposed to be North American wildlife, so I'll post my Galapagos photos elsewhere (Gardener's Cafe, perhaps, since they aren't N. American, do you think?)

Here are a few from my garden, which is coming along nicely. None are native plants, although the visitor is.

First, an Easter Carpenter Bee diving deep for some of the first nectar of spring
~April Photo of the Month~-carpenter-bee-azalea-web.jpg

Second, an iris in my pond. It is either Siberian iris or Japanese iris, but beautiful none-the-less, and enclosed in a pot so it won't spread.
~April Photo of the Month~-iris-siberian-maybe-pond-web.jpg

Third, a volunteer in my yard, that may have come from a wildflower seed mix, but turns out is not native. I believe it is a cornflower, and it was one of my first blooms in the pollinator garden. I haven't seen any bees going to it, though.
~April Photo of the Month~-cornflower-web.jpg

Finally, I was reflecting in solitude by my pond one day and took this one. I don't actually know if this particular lily pad is native or not, since I lost the order sheet for it, but it probably isn't since they usually aren't.
~April Photo of the Month~-lily-pads-reflections-web.jpg

My native plants seem to be lagging behind the non-natives in growing and blooming, maybe because the non-natives are selectively bred for their traits while the natives know it still frosts in April. Next month hopefully I'll have beautiful natives to post!

Welcome back, Dave!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #25
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Finally, I was reflecting in solitude by my pond one day and took this one. I don't actually know if this particular lily pad is native or not, since I lost the order sheet for it, but it probably isn't since they usually aren't.
The lily pads picture is enchanting (not a word I've used before to my knowledge, but what came to mind as I typed). It really keeps the eye moving.

The only water lily that I'm aware of that is native (there may be others) is N. odorata (I think)...the underside of the leaves is a reddish color and the flower is white. Hope that helps.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #26
Offical Silphium Abuser

Turttle, your blue flower is indeed a cornflower, centaurea cyanus. Yes, it shows up in wildflower seed mixes even though it's not native to North America, and--irony of ironies--it is now endangered in its native England and exists only on three sites there.
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #27
WG Operations, Facilitator

Beautiful photo entries by everyone.

Love your Mommy Fox and Kit photo Dave Stiles! What a beautiful moment you have captured with your camera. It's so great to see you posting again!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #28
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Do we have a volunteer to step up to the plate to get the nominations going? Someone who could say....Lets choose from these.
Once we determine the top three (After a two week nomination period?) I could create a poll if you didn't know how.

Maybe it would it be best to open it to nominations for for a week or two here (Let's say, a limit of three per person)
and then set the top three into a poll. That way everyone has the option of asking for what they think should go into a poll.
Does that sound like a better way of reaching our goal?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #29
The Bug Whisperer

I presume any one who submitted an entry would be excluded from judging?

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #30
A Bee's Best Friend

I nominate ...
#10 dogtooth violet
#4 pasque flower
#14 vixen and kit

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, april, april photos, camera, contest, contest entries, enter, fauna, flora, march, month, natural areas, nature, nature photography, photo, photo contest, photo entries, photo entriess, photo of the month, photographers, photography, ptom, wildflowers, wildlife