Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #91
WG Operations, Facilitator

finch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
I'm not sure photos of bird feeders count as wildlife photography, but this is my favorite photo of one of my favorite birds, taken last week.
Of course photos of birds and birdfeeders count as wildlife photography!

And your titmouse at the birdfeeder photo is a wonderful entry for the Photo of the Month Contest.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #92
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I'm glad I still have two entries left for this month, so I can add a couple shots taken at J Ding Darling on Sanibel yesterday. The day was cloudy but 75 degrees and we couldn't get into the condo til 6pm, so we spent the time at Ding Darling.

December 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-p1100335.jpg Female Anhinga along the road, not in refuge

December 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-p1100277.jpg White Pelicans and Cormorants on a sand bar

Happy New Year to all!

Last edited by Sage; 01-01-2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: to ad link
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #93
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I'm glad I still have two entries left for this month, so I can add a couple shots taken at J Ding Darling on Sanibel yesterday. The day was cloudy but 75 degrees and we couldn't get into the condo til 6pm, so we spent the time at Ding Darling.
For anyone not familiar with the man (J. Norwood 'Ding' Darling) behind the refuge name, see Jay Norwood Darling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and then Ding Darling "The Story of the Ground Water Table" - The University of Iowa Libraries for a sample of his work.
Lake Darling near my hometown of Minot, ND also was named for him - see Lake Darling, North Dakota, USA Vacation - Lake Rentals, Lake House - Lakelubbers My brother still ice fishes there during the winter (September-May)
Unfortunately for me, the only time that I was able to visit Sanibel was during a major red tide event...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #94
Offical Silphium Abuser

I haven't been to Sanibel for more nearly forty years--it was a beautiful place. Thanks for the pictures.
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #95
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post

Attachment 21881 Female Anhinga along the road, not in refuge

Attachment 21882 White Pelicans and Cormorants on a sand bar

Happy New Year to all!
Sage,
I am so jealous! Do you stay right on Sanibel or in Ft. Myers? I am a HUGE fan of Sanibel and have been there 6 times. I haven't been in about 5 years and I am always itching to go. Ding Darling is such a wonderful place, isn't it? We usually bike it, taking our time to stop and birdwatch, take pictures, etc.

Great pics, love the white pelicans! I saw my first white pelican in Ding Darling myself!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #96
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
For anyone not familiar with the man (J. Norwood 'Ding' Darling) behind the refuge name, see Jay Norwood Darling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and then Ding Darling "The Story of the Ground Water Table" - The University of Iowa Libraries for a sample of his work.
Lake Darling near my hometown of Minot, ND also was named for him - see Lake Darling, North Dakota, USA Vacation - Lake Rentals, Lake House - Lakelubbers My brother still ice fishes there during the winter (September-May)
Unfortunately for me, the only time that I was able to visit Sanibel was during a major red tide event...
Suunto--he really sounds like he was quite a wonderful man! Did you know he created the original blue goose design for the National Wildlife Refuge System?

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #97
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Suunto--he really sounds like he was quite a wonderful man! Did you know he created the original blue goose design for the National Wildlife Refuge System?
Yes - You can find that and more at J.N. Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge
I became familiar with his work at a relatively young age, as my father, before he returned to the family farm, worked as a wildlife biologist in North Dakota where he was one of the pioneers in the aerial survey of deer populations.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Sage,
I am so jealous! Do you stay right on Sanibel or in Ft. Myers? I am a HUGE fan of Sanibel and have been there 6 times. I haven't been in about 5 years and I am always itching to go. Ding Darling is such a wonderful place, isn't it? We usually bike it, taking our time to stop and birdwatch, take pictures, etc.

Great pics, love the white pelicans! I saw my first white pelican in Ding Darling myself!
Oh,bridget, you must come back! To avoid Periwinkle traffic, we drive along Gulf Drive from the causeway to Rabbit Dr, which takes you to the entrance to Ding Darling, and of course, at the corner is Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille for refreshments afterwards. That would be Randy White's Doc Ford from all his novels set on Sanibel.

We are staying in Fort Myers though I am sure there are deals to be had on Sanibel. I lived in FM for 20+ years. Sanibel, Captiva, FMBeach, Estero, Bonita and Naples are our suburbs. Cape Coral, Pine Island too. Six-mile Cypress Preserve is fantastic and very close. Okaloacoochee and Spirit of the Wild, Myakka, Everglades, etc.

I have to get havalotta to come to the gulf coast next year. They're way over on the other side of the state with the whole family.

Are any other WGers coming to FL this winter?

Last edited by Sage; 01-01-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: add link
Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #99
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I thought about you-Sage a few times while bird watching.
We toured through the Merritt Island national wildlife refuge along the Eastern coast by Cape Canaveral.. Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge - Titusville Florida

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I thought about you-Sage a few times while bird watching.
We toured through the Merritt Island national wildlife refuge along the Eastern coast by Cape Canaveral.. Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge - Titusville Florida
My sis has a house over there.

Next year plan your holiiday trip to the fabulous Gulf Coast! Then we can meet up and eat a Doc Ford's!

Tags
2010, camera, contest, december, enter, entries, entry, free, free photo contest, month, photo, photo contest, photoghraphers, photography, photography contest, photos, pictures, post, potm, prize, prizes, wildlife, wildlifegardeners