Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #51
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I just realized it's all hallow's eve so I guess I need to put in this photo I took at the beginning of the month. I was urged by some of you nice folks to submit it so here it is. It seems so long ago, now that autumn has really set in. It's been very dry here this month so many of the colors just didn't happen and then we had the winds and storms this past week so a lot of the leaves are on the ground already.

Anyway, this is a gulf fritillary enjoying a late summer day in the slanting sun.
Attached Thumbnails
October 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-fritillary.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:30 PM   #52
Fox

Default Parting Shots (parting with October)

October 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-autumn-woods-afternoon-sun.jpg

October 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-blackberry-fall-foliage.jpg

October 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-lonely-nasturtium.jpg
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #53
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Happy Halloween!

(I took this picture today--despite the frost and cold weather our garden spiders are still alive.)
Attached Thumbnails
October 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-053.jpg  
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:10 PM   #54
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Now that last one's... an interesting shot Benji.....I like it, something different!
Dapjwys got an EWE.... when I saw him.... (I know that's a sheep ) but he's still one big ugly bloater.
Oooooops..I'm suppose to say NICE things here.... If I can't cay anything nice, don't say anything at all...As mother would say.

Ok... What a great photo to end this Hallows eve!!!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:56 PM   #55
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

pumpkin

I didn't come up with much this month, but here's a picture of a Pecan planted by George Washington next to his house at Mount Vernon, and some asters in my garden.
Attached Thumbnails
October 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-dsc08068.jpg   October 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-dsc08152.jpg  
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Now that last one's... an interesting shot Benji.....I like it, something different!
I agree that is a cool shot--unique and it makes one smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Dapjwys got an EWE.... when I saw him.... (I know that's a sheep ...) but he's still one big ugly bloater.
Oooooops..I'm suppose to say NICE things here.... If I can't cay anything nice, don't say anything at all...As mother would say.

Ok... What a great photo to end this Hallows eve!!!
I guess I'm slow; it wasn't until I read it a second time that I got the sheep comment!

I've seen some (in my opinion) ugly spiders, but I've always thought these were rather attractive (as spiders go). If it were not Halloween yesterday, I doubt I'd have submitted it...but apparently it made the right impact on you.

BTW, *she* is a female...the male is much smaller (I think, right suunto?)...and less of an "ugly bloater".
Old 11-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #57

swamp thing,

Your asters look great. Mine are finishing up and are past their prime--others are going to seed already. I was thrilled with all of the activity around them this fall. How did yours fare with the pollinators?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #58
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

There was a cloud of small bees and wasps on them for weeks! Even some flies.
I think we'll get a hard frost tonight, things should be very different tommorrow.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp thing View Post
There was a cloud of small bees and wasps on them for weeks! Even some flies.
I think we'll get a hard frost tonight, things should be very different tommorrow.
I took a lot of pictures of all of the pollinators, but I've yet to post any. Last night the temps were supposed to be around 29 and 27 tonight. I went out after work and my asters still look okay, and the garden spiders were still on their webs. Hopefully, you'll have the same luck.

Tags
2010, contest, contests, entrants, entries, fauna, flora, insects, month, native plants, nature, october, photo, photo contest, photo contests, photo entries, photo of the month, photography, photography contest, post, potm, submissions, wildlife