Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #31
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Thank you thank you.... butterflies are hard for me unless they basically land in front of my face.... which this one did. I got lucky is all. I did move a little bit where I was standing but not much since I was afraid it'd take off.
I know the feeling. After I get a shot or two I get more brave about moving closer.

My little buggers don't move that fast, which allowed me time to compose the shot. That helped a lot.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #32
Official Plant Nerd

Yaa... exactly. I'm always afraid they're gonna take off on me and I don't want to be running around in this heat chasing flutters. I never catch em anyway. As soon as I get close... they take off then.... off I go again trying to get em. Now repeat that about 10x and it can wear a body down.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Yaa... exactly. I'm always afraid they're gonna take off on me and I don't want to be running around in this heat chasing flutters. I never catch em anyway. As soon as I get close... they take off then.... off I go again trying to get em. Now repeat that about 10x and it can wear a body down.
Smile---sounds like good exercise to me! Wear the body down so it can build up more muscles!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #34
WG Contest Coordinator

Quote:
I think he's a cute little bugger. I'd like to see some of those little fatties around me but so far no go. Here's a flutterby that landed close to me. No chasing involved in this photo!!!
Lucky you! I keep trying to get a picture of a spicebush swallowtail but no luck for me. That butterfly's wings are really shredded! At least it still has tails, most of the ones that I see flying around the yarden are missing at least one tail...
Old 08-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #35
Heron

Here's a rare one for me, a bird photo. I got a call this morning from a friend that a few White Pelicans were hanging around a pond about 5 miles from my house, so I got down there this afternoon, got the attached photo. Not my sharpest photo ever, but I had to use the Sigma 170-500 zoom with a 2X extender on my big beastly tripod. Even on the heavy tripod, the slight breeze was enough to take the edge off the image sharpness. I need to learn how to use this lens better, it's a real challenge.

Anyway, it's quite rare to see these here, the first time that I've seen them here in my whole 59 years of life, so this was a thrill just to see them. I have about 178 more RAW photo files to look at and process yet, so there may be some better shots, but I like this composition, so I thought I'd enter it.

John

August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-white-pelicans-dsc_2156.jpg
Old 08-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #36

Great shot! So cool. I like the composition too and there is so much to look at it keeps your eye moving (both of them if you have two).

You must be thrilled to have seen something so rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdenk View Post
Here's a rare one for me, a bird photo. I got a call this morning from a friend that a few White Pelicans were hanging around a pond about 5 miles from my house, so I got down there this afternoon, got the attached photo. Not my sharpest photo ever, but I had to use the Sigma 170-500 zoom with a 2X extender on my big beastly tripod. Even on the heavy tripod, the slight breeze was enough to take the edge off the image sharpness. I need to learn how to use this lens better, it's a real challenge.

Anyway, it's quite rare to see these here, the first time that I've seen them here in my whole 59 years of life, so this was a thrill just to see them. I have about 178 more RAW photo files to look at and process yet, so there may be some better shots, but I like this composition, so I thought I'd enter it.

John

Attachment 19142
Old 08-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #37
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Such wonderful photos....

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #38
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I really like jpdenk's white pelicans! Birds are harder than insects - I just got back from a week on the Outer Banks and the pelicans just wouldn't stay still long enough for me to take their pictures.

My mistflower came into bloom while I was gone and I caught this guy nectaring there this morning. The bees seem to find the purple flowers faster than the butterflies, although there were some swallowtails there this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-p1010377.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #39

Beautiful photo, turttle.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #40
WG Facebook Administrator

We get to do 3, right? None of these are as good as any of the ones already posted, but what the hey.

August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-thrush2.jpg
Common yellowthroat

August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-butterfly-red-clover.jpg
Question mark

August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-goldenrod1.jpg
Goldenrod soldier beetles
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, august, contest, enter, entries, insects, month, photo, photo contest, photo of the month, photographs, photography, photos, pictures, post, potm, wildflowers, wildlife