Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Not that I can compete with the amazing shot of a very unique larva "Portrait of a Tiger Beetle", but I like this picture and want to share.
Attached Thumbnails
August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-monarch-caterpillars-089.jpg  
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #22
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Very artistic shot, dapjwy!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Very artistic shot, dapjwy!
Thank you. High praise coming from someone of your talent.

I know I'm not supposed to blame the tool, but the camera I'm stuck using is just not the quality I'd like. ~smile~

....but I know someone made a great comment on here saying that whatever we can express in words or capture a picture of is appreciated on this forum.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #24
WG Contest Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Not that I can compete with the amazing shot of a very unique larva "Portrait of a Tiger Beetle", but I like this picture and want to share.

Gee, I am not sure that I know what insect that is. I know that I have seen it before somewhere.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:51 AM   #25
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I know I'm not supposed to blame the tool, but the camera I'm stuck using is just not the quality I'd like. ~smile~

....but I know someone made a great comment on here saying that whatever we can express in words or capture a picture of is appreciated on this forum.
Hi dapjwy,

Your composition is excellent, you have a good eye to take that photo. When viewed at full resolution, then yes, there are some camera limitations visible. I know how frustrating that can be. For the first 5 years that I shot digital (1999-2004), I used a 1.6 MP Kodak point-and-shoot, a DC260, lots of frustrations with that camera but I learned to work with its limitations and managed to get some decent shots with it, but I did have to learn how to do image optimization in Photoshop to get the most from the camera.

What camera are you using? Perhaps there are ways to minimize the limitations?

John
Old 08-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tineckbone View Post
Gee, I am not sure that I know what insect that is. I know that I have seen it before somewhere.
LOL! I think you'd better duck before bridget1964 smacks the back of your head!
Old 08-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdenk View Post
Hi dapjwy,

Your composition is excellent, you have a good eye to take that photo. When viewed at full resolution, then yes, there are some camera limitations visible. I know how frustrating that can be. For the first 5 years that I shot digital (1999-2004), I used a 1.6 MP Kodak point-and-shoot, a DC260, lots of frustrations with that camera but I learned to work with its limitations and managed to get some decent shots with it, but I did have to learn how to do image optimization in Photoshop to get the most from the camera.

What camera are you using? Perhaps there are ways to minimize the limitations?

John

Thank you, John! Sometimes things come together and I get a shot that I really like--only to be frustrated by the poor resolution. The camera, a Sony handycam, is actually on loan to me from a friend, I never even looked at an owners manual. After your suggestion I went through the menu and can't find anything to adjust the resolution.

My other beef with it (or my not learning its capabilities) is that I can't seem to use manual focus--so, I have to use tele-macro and let it decide what I'm trying to focus on! I have been able to play with this a bit with a bit of success, but it is still frustrating.

Thank you again for the compliment.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #28
Official Plant Nerd

I think he's a cute little bugger. I'd like to see some of those little fatties around me but so far no go. Here's a flutterby that landed close to me. No chasing involved in this photo!!!
Attached Thumbnails
August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-img_3600.jpg  
Old 08-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I think he's a cute little bugger. I'd like to see some of those little fatties around me but so far no go. Here's a flutterby that landed close to me. No chasing involved in this photo!!!
Thanks. This is a first for me. I hope you get some too.

Beautiful photo Equil. I like the angle and position of the butterfly's wings. Nice. ~smile~
Old 08-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #30
Official Plant Nerd

Thank you thank you.... butterflies are hard for me unless they basically land in front of my face.... which this one did. I got lucky is all. I did move a little bit where I was standing but not much since I was afraid it'd take off.

Tags
2010, august, contest, enter, entries, insects, month, photo, photo contest, photo of the month, photographs, photography, photos, pictures, post, potm, wildflowers, wildlife