Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Fox

Default January Up North

Here are a few more photos of winter in Northern Wisconsin.
Northern Cardinal perched in the birch trees
Black-capped Chickadee arriving for dinner
Winter scene in my yard
Mourning Doves having breakfast
The view across the road.
Attached Thumbnails
January Up North-northern-cardinal-1.jpg   January Up North-black-capped-chickadee.jpg   January Up North-winter-scene-4.jpg   January Up North-mourning-dove.jpg   January Up North-winter-scene-2.jpg  

I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
WG Operations, Facilitator

Love the Cardinal photo. Wish I could say the same for all that snow....but I'm buried in snow up to my waist in Northern WI!! I can't even make it to the compost pile anymore!

Actually, your snow photos are very pretty!

BooBooBearBecky
BooBooBearBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Big Fat juicy WORM

Those are just gorgeous! Thank you for sharing them That chickadee looks right sassy
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Beautiful shots from WI! They look like my yard in western NY! Chickadees and Cardinals rule the roost here too and I love them!

Here is a little tiny squirrel braving the snow! Can you tell how freezing cold he is? :eek:
Attached Thumbnails
January Up North-p1140471-1.jpg  
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Carbon

Default Chickadee hand feed

I had a wonderful experience this past weekend. One of my regular Saturday chores is to refill the bird feeders. This past Saturday I took out the folding aluminum ladder, erected it in the snow next to the feeders, climbed up and started to prepare the main feeder. There was more activity amongst the BC chickadees than normal and, even though the main feeder was still a third full of black-oil sunflower seeds, the birds in the nearby spruce trees were very active. Once they began swooping by me, I put feed in my gloved hand and held it out. Within two minutes one landed on my hand, grabbed a seed (after giving me a sharp look) and took off. After a few more minutes, two more (maybe the same one?) took seed off my hand. During this time, several ate at the main feeder just inches from my face. I stepped down from the ladder after the filling was completed and thought repeatedly about this experience. I've read that chickadees will eat from one's hand but this is my first, personal, experience. I've had this same feeder for maybe fifteen years and never had birds come to me like they did this past weekend. Anyone have a similar experience?
FLNPSwebmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Once they began swooping by me, I put feed in my gloved hand and held it out. Within two minutes one landed on my hand, grabbed a seed (after giving me a sharp look) and took off.
You lucky duck you! I have chipmunks that will take sunflower seeds from my hand but no birds yet and I've even tried offering them pecan pieces and other special unsalted nuts.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

The dees are very brave and unafraid, for sure! They come up to my balcony just inches from me and one of these days, when it gets above freezing, I'll see if they'll eat from my hand. If they do, and my husband gets a shot, I'll post it!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
Fox

I enjoyed all of the shots. I really liked the snow shots. It's a landscape I don't often see down here in the south.
MaggyNoLia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:50 AM   #9
Fox

Thank you all. The photos on all of the Wildlife Gardeners forums are really enjoyable to look at.

Snow does create it's own form of beauty - but it was 22 degrees below zero here last night; I won't be a bit disappointed when spring arrives!
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLNPSwebmeister View Post
I had a wonderful experience this past weekend ... Anyone have a similar experience?
One of my fondest childhood memories comes from visiting my great aunt & uncle at their vacation home on Lake Oskawanna(sp?) in upstate NY. I could stand at the edge of the porch with a palm-full of seed and the chickadees would swoop in to eat out of my hand.
SquirrelFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
january, north