Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
Alternate POM Judge

Default July 2015 Photo of the month contest

I've seen some great photos on this forum. How about posting some here. thanks! Happy July
Old 07-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Wonder if the newbies have discovered........... We've a photo contest!
Where have our all time favorite participants ran off to?

I'm starting to suspect new technology is creating difficulty in submitting photos.
There's hardly a photo on the site these days and when there are... a lot of them are coming up sideways or upside down.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #3

Entry # 1
July 2015 Photo of the month contest-dscf7859.jpg
Check this out...What's on her head!

Old 07-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Wonder if the newbies have discovered........... We've a photo contest!
Where have our all time favorite participants ran off to?

I'm starting to suspect new technology is creating difficulty in submitting photos.
There's hardly a photo on the site these days and when there are... a lot of them are coming up sideways or upside down.
Could we get some comments on why there are so few photo contest entries? Thank you for your entry havalotta
Old 07-22-2015, 03:12 PM   #5
Heron

I think most people wait till the end of the month and then pick from the months worth of photos to submit. Hard to submit when maybe later you'll have some better ones.

Orientation issues are due to the forum software not orienting it the EXIF data (says how the camera is oriented). Because of the addition of smart phones that you can hold at any angle and get a shot, this makes it not work well on the forum. These will only be fixed if VBulletin fixes it in their code, or it may be fixed in a newer version.

EXIF has these in them to tell how to rotate them them:

rotate: -90
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
Fox

pawprint The Culprit, or shall I say 1 of them...

Happy gardening to all this year!

I would like to say about my POM entry, this was a hard-won snapshot! I've seen these guys around my place typically giving each other a ^5, or simply outright chuckling at me, as they whisk away with whole tomatoes in their mouth. And now that they have a taste for my green Romas, they can't seem to get enough, it is an all day vigil to try to catch them at it.July 2015 Photo of the month contest-100_2454.jpg

I see them crossing the driveway with a tomato, I see them two at a time diving into the cover of the gourd vines with tomatoes, they don't even eat their favorite white mushrooms in the back yard, because they now have tomatoes. They don't even waste the tomatoes any more, they started out just snacking on the things, but now it has become a meal.

We only have 4 tomato plants this year for myself & wife Destiny (whom took this snapshot), luckily the plants are loaded, but we have only received 8 ripe tomatoes so far.

Hey kchd, this is as big as my original picture can get...maybe you can use it 'as is' in the 2016 calender....if I win of course!

ww
Old 07-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #7
Fox

Nice catch havalotta on the spider, I'm so glad you mentioned it, for I missed the spider at first glance. So you or your neighbor has peafowl...I'm sure those are a pleasure to see & hear as they roam thru.

Dear Ellen...I've nearly quit the POM contest, because lets face it...my photo equip. is old, broken, wasn't that great in the first place, or the battery is low, and there is the other reason....those varmits are fast!...hawks buzzed me the other day, pileated woodpeckers or land turtles, you can hear them coming sometimes...but ya have to have your camera with ya. I saw my first wild rabbit racing thru the yard today, I haven't seen one here in many years, if I need to see one I usually go to the neighbors yard. LOL

ww
Old 07-23-2015, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
and there is the other reason....those varmits are fast! Hawks buzzed me the other day, pileated woodpeckers or land turtles,
Yup those land turtles sure are fast! I've never seen a squirrel ripping off tomatoes and green ones at that. You'd think they'd be swiping the red ones. Next year, guess you'll have to plant one or so more by the looks of it.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:37 AM   #9

Speaking about sideways photos...
If you can't figure out how to flip them in your camera and even if you do and the site flips them back to its original take.

Shrink your screen to half size....click upon the photo you've entered to enlarge it "then" click hold and drag it ONTO your desktop.
I use something called paint to flip them proper. Once done, go back to your post, remove your sideways original and retrieve the one you flipped from your desktop to re-enter.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #10
Fox

pawprint Danged if you do, danged if you don't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Yup those land turtles sure are fast! I've never seen a squirrel ripping off tomatoes and green ones at that. You'd think they'd be swiping the red ones. Next year, guess you'll have to plant one or so more by the looks of it.
LOL, heck ~1 extra plant~ Destiny thinks those squirrels can't count, but we both think they will probably just bring in more of the family, and haul off the load. We have a lot of squirrels around here, I would say 15 can be seen in a day playing in the yard. Maybe an 'artificial tomato' for next year...LOL. I guess it is a good thing they haven't discovered the peanuts yet, (although the deer did browse it somewhat), although they did rip off a few red potatoes. I may not have to buy extra tomato plants next year, I imagine I'll have volunteer tomatoes all over there place.

Wild passion fruit, is blooming and making fruit right now. July 2015 Photo of the month contest-img_20150722_170106.jpg ---Destiny (my wife) made this snapshot with here Kindle Fire HD7. Of which, by-the-way, we simply transferred the pixs from her Fire to my pc, via USB cable, so far so good no upside down ones. Maybe the pixs from some of the phones and such, are mis-oriented because her android will quickly reposition the pictures on her screen, depending on which way she is holding the thing...which is kina funny while she is reading and we are driving down a crooked steep road!

ww

Tags
2015, contest, july, month, photo