Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
That's ok dap. I never get tired of talking Turkey! haha!
~smile~
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Not the best photo I have taken, but bright and cheery. This was from last November. This year, my blanket flowers are all dead already!
Attached Thumbnails
November 2014 Photo of the Month Contest-bumble-blanket-flower-nov-2013-web.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #13
Alternate POM Judge

Thank you turttle. So nice to see a pretty flower this time of year.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #14
Fox

Hey dapjwy, is it hazelnut that blooms about now? Because I saw some yellow 'stringy looking flowers on some wild bushes. I wonder when those things put forth fruit if they bloom in the late fall like this? Not a particularly 'cheery' pix, but I might try to get a snapshot tomorrow.

ww
Old 11-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #15
Heron

I actually managed to capture a photo this month worthy of the POM contest. Found this speckled kingsnake in the yard on Saturday when we had a beautiful warm day. Kingsnakes are some of my favorites, being so amazingly docile. You can pick them up and they will just hang out.

November 2014 Photo of the Month Contest-img_1769-medium-.jpg
Old 11-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #16
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
Hey dapjwy, is it hazelnut that blooms about now? Because I saw some yellow 'stringy looking flowers on some wild bushes. I wonder when those things put forth fruit if they bloom in the late fall like this? Not a particularly 'cheery' pix, but I might try to get a snapshot tomorrow.

ww
That is Witch Hazel, which will keep "blooming" all winter and finish producing seed in the next fall. This allows warmer days in the fall/winter for it to get pollinators when not much else if any is blooming. Hazelnut is very early spring.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #17
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
That is Witch Hazel, which will keep "blooming" all winter and finish producing seed in the next fall. This allows warmer days in the fall/winter for it to get pollinators when not much else if any is blooming. Hazelnut is very early spring.
Thanks for the id rB. Hey lucky you ww to have Witch Hazel something that blooms in winter.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #18
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
I actually managed to capture a photo this month worthy of the POM contest. Found this speckled kingsnake in the yard on Saturday when we had a beautiful warm day. Kingsnakes are some of my favorites, being so amazingly docile. You can pick them up and they will just hang out.

Attachment 41919
Great minds think alike kchd. A beautiful picture. Love snakes.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post

ww
You are thinking of witch hazel. Yes, it blooms in the fall and has "yellow stringy looking flowers"

I hope you get a great shot, it can be a photogenic plant...but I rarely capture its beauty.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Not the best photo I have taken, but bright and cheery. This was from last November. This year, my blanket flowers are all dead already!
Can we have another mild November again next year? I'd love to still be seeing blooms. Thanks for sharing yours, turtle.

Tags
2014, contest, month, november, photo, witchhazel hamamelis vernalis