Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
Heron

I'm in se Arizona for the holidays. Today we spent time poking around the San Pedro River near Sierra Vista. Birding paradise! This phyrrhuloxia was posing for a picture in a mesquite.
Attached Thumbnails
~December 2013 POM Entry Thread~-pyrrhuloxia-medium-.jpg  
Old 12-24-2013, 02:10 AM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

It's been snowing a lot in the last week or so.... heavy snow. I took this photo out my garage door of a white cedar.
--
kchd> "I'm in se Arizona for the holidays." People don't realize it but... AZ is as pretty in the "winter" as it is in warmer months.... especially the desert. Really nice whateveritis bird. I don't think I've ever seen can't any of those when I've been out that way or if I did.... I can't remember seeing any.
Attached Thumbnails
~December 2013 POM Entry Thread~-img_4084.jpg  
Old 12-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
I'm in se Arizona for the holidays. Today we spent time poking around the San Pedro River near Sierra Vista. Birding paradise! This phyrrhuloxia was posing for a picture in a mesquite.
Beautiful photo, kchd.

It is interesting to see wildlife from other areas of the country.

Me dumb-- I was going to tell you that you should enter it into the POM contest, until I realized that is the thread I'm looking at now! Believe it or not, this isn't the first time I've done that.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #14

Nice photo, Lib...that's the stuff I used to add to the fireplace mantel along with white pine, hemlock, and whatever other evergreen was around.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #15
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Three days left to enter your December photos! Judging to begin around Monday unless I'm out looking for more Snowy Owls!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #16
Heron

I'm getting this one in just under the wire. I have been away quite a bit over the holidays. Just got home tonight.

Got this shot on 27 Dec. while fishing Lake Roosevelt for a few days during the holidays (yes, we are hard core fishermen). This is a Clark's Grebe, a relatively uncommon bird, and exciting to see for this bird nerd.

~December 2013 POM Entry Thread~-clarks-grebe.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
kchd> "I'm in se Arizona for the holidays." People don't realize it but... AZ is as pretty in the "winter" as it is in warmer months.... especially the desert. Really nice whateveritis bird. I don't think I've ever seen can't any of those when I've been out that way or if I did.... I can't remember seeing any.
Yes ma'am, you are so right about the desert in winter. That whateveritisbird = purr - rue - lux - ia. They are so cheery to me. The desert version of a Northern Cardinal seen in the dead of winter!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #17
Heron

ok, two more...

Here is a Coues Whitetail doe in the mesquite savannah in the foothills of the Huachica Mountains in se AZ.
~December 2013 POM Entry Thread~-coues-doe-medium-.jpg

Here is a Cactus Wren, perched atop an organpipe cactus. Such an enormous wren!
~December 2013 POM Entry Thread~-img_1026-medium-.jpg

Love birding in the Sonoran desert!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #18
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Wow! Talk about sneaking them in right under the wire.

The December 2013 POM is now closed! In between looking for Harlequin drakes and Snowy Owls, I will be contemplating. If you're real quiet, maybe you'll hear the wheels grinding. ggrrrrrnnnn......ddddnnggg!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
Here is a Cactus Wren, perched atop an organpipe cactus. Such an enormous wren!
Attachment 39921
Great photo of a beautiful, enormous wren.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #20
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Wow! Talk about sneaking them in right under the wire.

The December 2013 POM is now closed! In between looking for Harlequin drakes and Snowy Owls, I will be contemplating. If you're real quiet, maybe you'll hear the wheels grinding. ggrrrrrnnnn......ddddnnggg!
The jetty at Barnegat Light NJ is well known in this area for its Harlequin Ducks, and Scoters this time of year. Along with other sea ducks. My problem is that I'm so leery of walking on jettys now-a-days that I haven't seen a Harlequin duck for years. The jettys are wet, or in weather like this ice coated, slippery and uneven. I'm in my 70's wear bi-focals, and klutzy. The last time I was out on a Jetty I promised myself that if I got off it without damaging myself, I'd never climb one again.
Arey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, december, entry, pom, thread