Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #81
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Well, if your tuberosa is happy there, then your plan should be fine.

I agree it is good you are creating colonies in various places (home and camps).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #82
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

My may apples are dormant by early June, so I figure it doesn't matter much how much tree canopy they are under because most of the trees are bare for the months they are up, from early March through June. They do not really like the NC heat.

I think most milkweed like full sun. I lost my whorled milkweed from it getting overshadowed by other things in my perennial bed.

Good luck with your may apples, Hava. I have been planting new ones in different parts of my yard, hoping to eventually get fruit (you need more than one clonal colony to cross pollinate each other to get fruit)

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #83
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Good luck with your may apples, Hava. I have been planting new ones in different parts of my yard, hoping to eventually get fruit (you need more than one clonal colony to cross pollinate each other to get fruit)
Could you go on to explain just exactly what a clonal colony is? The shoots I have are not one looooooong runner system but lots of parts and pieces. Will mine ever produce fruit?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #84

Quote:
They like living in an area which receives & holds a good amount of leaf litter (under a tree or a bush, they need shade & plenty of it).
~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-p1130939.jpg
While wandering, I spied 3-4 of these growing near a couple of rocks fairly close to camp. Not knowing what they were but thought they were pretty good looking whatevers, I decided "this"would be a good location to set up my little mayapple forest.
~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-p1130934.jpg
They should do pretty well tucked in under the shade of the trees off in the distance with the trees to the right, providing their afternoon shade.
~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-p1130937.jpg
I must have hit every boulder in the county while digging this area out! What at workout!
After the tree and shrub root removal and the tossing of the stones into a protective border against Hubbies lawnmower, I mixed in LOTS of shredded-chopped up leaves from this Springs clean up of the yard.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #85

Quote:
However, remember that the mayapple stem & leaves, are kind of large, and for each 'growing tip' I would want that tip no closer than 12" from the next mayapple 'growing tip', so that the stem & leaves will be able to stand upon their little piece of ground without being overcrowded from the next mayapple and his leaves.
~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-p1130940.jpg
Had I known about their growth pattern prior to planting I surely would have planted things differently. As is, I guess they'll be working out their spacial needs as they emerge.
JUST to the West of where I've planted the mayapples lies this bush. Is it a honey suckle that should be pulled or something worthy of keeping?

~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-p1130933.jpg
Not much of a view besides the backside of garage just outside the kitchen window at camp.
First thing I did was purchase a feeder so I'd have something to look at besides a blank gray wall.
My intent was-is to dump a pile of boulders in the corner, cover them with soil, add a mini pond THEN add the mayflowers and a few ferns ....
Instead, an emergency call sent me scurrying to just bury a few of them and the hostas I had intended to plant elsewhere.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #86

Back at the home front:
~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-p1130945.jpg
3 mayapples were tucked into the right leading edge of the pond and 3 to its left.
The mature plants you see were all raised from seed various W.G'rs gave me!
~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-p1130946.jpg
I'll remove a few plants from the tip of the hosta bed (Leaving the ferns) and add a few of the mayapples here.

What remain (Not many now) will be planted at camp #2 where I've already planted ginger, trillium, jack in the pulpit etc etc etc.....
THANK YOU Wildwatcher. Now All I have to do is sit back and wait for Spring!

Old 08-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #87
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Attachment 41302
While wandering, I spied 3-4 of these growing near a couple of rocks fairly close to camp. Not knowing what they were but thought they were pretty good looking whatevers, I decided "this"would be a good location to set up my little mayapple forest.
Looks like Broad-leaved Helleborine, which is a non-native, semi-weedy orchid.

Area looks good for mayapples. I planted a few and they have some nibbles already. Nice to see that things will eat it.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #88

Oooo an orchid!!!! Its growth did remind me of the lady slippers stem.
Thanks for confirming that and, It's I.D.! I'm eager to see what it's blossoms look like. It looks like it carries quite a few by what's left upon it's stem. Too bad it's not one of the local natives.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
Looks like Broad-leaved Helleborine, which is a non-native, semi-weedy orchid.

Area looks good for mayapples. I planted a few and they have some nibbles already. Nice to see that things will eat it.
I was thinking the same thing, rockerBOO. (Except "hellebore" was floating just below the surface of my mind...and I wasn't totally sure.)

I agree, it looks like a good spot for them.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Attachment 41305
...JUST to the West of where I've planted the mayapples lies this bush. Is it a honey suckle that should be pulled or something worthy of keeping?
I'm not sure, but it looks like it could be a young spicebush--something you'd want to keep. Let's wait for others to weigh in.

Tags
2013, entry, mayapple, month, november, photo, podophyllum peltatum, thread