Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #101
Heron

~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-floweranatomy_bw.jpg
A lot of flowers have male/female parts on them. Male (pollen) female (Stigma/Pistal) parts. Some are distinctly on different plants. Some are mixed on the same plant.

~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-may3.jpg
Mayapple has male (pollen) and female (Pistal) on the same flower.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #102
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

So it CAN and DOES fertilize itself. Correct? It doesn't make any sense to me that it then can't fertilize a piece of itself if it is broken off and replanted next to itself.

Even with the explanations I guess I'm just not getting how this whole colony thing works.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #103
Heron

It is possible for the male (pollen) to fertilize the same plant. This will not fertilize the egg and won't be pollinated unless it is self fertile. Usually they will bloom at different times to allow more cross fertilization.

Colonies are clones of the original plant, but the genetics are the same is reason it can't fertilize itself.

Quote:
Self-incompatibility, ovule abortion, and resource availability in mayapple ( Podophyllum peltatum L.): do self-compatible plants appear self-incompatible when resources are scarce?
If you want too much info:
http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstr...pdf?sequence=1
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #104
Fox

pawprint anYthInG iS Possible in havalotta's garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post

That would be like.....If there was another me, whether it be by cloning or whatever....and that me was pregnant the me not pregnant couldn't GET pregnant. It doesn't make any sense.
To be clear...timewarps & pregnant clones are really two different things.

The YOU that is not pregnant, is not pregnant on purpose, right?...because YOU are not a clone, right?...however if your clone (or whatever) was to become pregnant, there is the possibility that you had the same experience, previously in another life. ~~So there is that.~~

And the YOU that is havalotta therefore could somewhat 'tell the future' to your clone (whatever her name is)...provided of course, that YOU & your clone (or whatever) have conversations fairly often. To be a true clone, YOU and your clone dress alike and have identical idiosyncrasies...if on the other hand your (whatever) happens to be pregnant and dresses with an astonishingly different style, I would suggest you quickly set-up a password with your hubbie, [have him write it down under the hood of his lawnmower for safekeeping] so that if your (whatever) timewarps to present day & begins to stir-up any trouble, at least he will know how to access the real YOU. Of course if your (whatever) makes a better batch of chocolate chip cookies than YOU, she might be worth keeping around.

As for your mayapple rootlets I purposefully obtained various rootlets from 3 different areas, so hopefully there is a good diversification of the gene pool. I would not be surprized tho, the mayapple rootlets might not flower & fruit next year, due to the recent transplanting/location changes. Give 'em some time, and they should show all the signs of happiness. And if you found a few local mayapple to transplant nearby one-of-these-dayz, that could become part of your mini-forest experiment.

wild-one
Old 08-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #105
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
So they can't pollinate themselves even if they've been separated from itself. Doesn't sound right In my literal way of thinking.

That would be like.....If there was another me, whether it be by cloning or whatever....and that me was pregnant the me not pregnant couldn't GET pregnant. It doesn't make any sense.
Let's keep clones of you and you both getting pregnant or not out of the discussion. <big grin>

I'm hardly an expert at this, but plants and people are pretty different. My understanding is that some plants are self fertile (the pollen from the same plant can pollinate the ovum of that same flower). (Remember your analogy that I said we should not discuss? Well, one quick aside...you and your supposed clone are not self fertile...you would require a male to fertilize your ovum. )

Other plants, are not self fertile, so they would require pollen from a genetically different individual. So, if the rootlets you received are from genetically dissimilar individuals, you are fine...if they are all from the same clonal colony, then they will not be self-fertile--now, I didn't look it up, I'm trusting that may apples are not self-fertile.

Does that make any more sense? If a plant reproduces vegetatively by runners (like a strawberry plant), the DNA of the "parent" plant, is identical to the plant formed by the runner. Only reproducing sexually will create genetically distinct individuals.

Someone correct me if I stated anything wrong...not an expert AND very tired.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
As for your mayapple rootlets I purposefully obtained various rootlets from 3 different areas, so hopefully there is a good diversification of the gene pool.

There you go--clear as day (with all of the "timewarps" and "whatevers" removed.

It sounds like you have a good shot of having genetically diverse individuals, and if there are local mayapples around, they would definitely be genetically diverse from those you received from wildwatcher (aka "wild one"). ........
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #107

Quote:
I know you both are doing your best at trying to put an I.D. my bush (Thank you) but If you say honeysuckle has an opposite leaf pattern then perhaps the one in the very center of your photo, ISN'T a honeysuckle... It HAS the alternate pattern.
I placed a cut branch from the honeysuckle next to the (alternate-leafed) spice bush. I was trying to give you a comparison--but I wasn't willing to cut off part of my (still young) spice bush...so it is not a very clear comparison.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #108

Glad that's.... all cleared up!
I'll be here-there awaiting for the diversification of the gene pool to arrive.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #109

Thanks for mixing the pool for me Mr Wild one.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:50 PM   #110
Fox

I'm still laughing at post 104. Sure no problem havalotta glad to be of help

wild-one

Tags
2013, entry, mayapple, month, november, photo, podophyllum peltatum, thread