Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #91
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
What remain (Not many now) will be planted at camp #2 where I've already planted ginger, trillium, jack in the pulpit etc etc etc.....
That sounds like a great start you've got there.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #92
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Mmmmm Could be, now That I googled it in but it's leaves felt kind of floppy soft. The leaves of the spicebush in the photos "seem" to have more body? If it was a spicebush, shouldn't it be full of red berries right about now or is that a male female plant difference?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #93
Heron

The tips of the leaves are one indication, where honeysuckle is more rounded.

I think its honeysuckle, but might be a native one. Look for flowers or fruits. I grouped them all into the invasive one, but there could be other species.

Spicebush is male/female.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #94

Quote:
Mmmmm Could be, now That I googled it in but it's leaves felt kind of floppy soft. The leaves of the spicebush in the photos "seem" to have more body? If it was a spicebush, shouldn't it be full of red berries right about now or is that a male female plant difference?
It looks too young, to me, to make berries...and only the females would have berries.

Next time you go there (I think you said it was a camp), crush a leaf and smell it. That should give you a clue as to if it is spicebush or not.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
The tips of the leaves are one indication, where honeysuckle is more rounded.

I think its honeysuckle, but might be a native one. Look for flowers or fruits. I grouped them all into the invasive one, but there could be other species.
I'm not guaranteeing that it is spicebush (but I'm still leaning that way)...but it is not honeysuckle--I just checked...the (invasive) honeysuckle I found has opposite leaves; the leaves in havalotta's photo look alternate.

Sad to say, I still have some of the honeysuckle at the edge of our property...I had to walk to the edge...and stretch, but I do still have it around here. Here are the photos I took:

~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-20140807_160343.jpg

I took photos of my smallest spicebush--trying to match havalotta's...the spice bush is on the right; I draped the honeysuckle branch to the left. <---OOPS...the photo was posted upside down, so the spice bush is on the left.

~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-20140807_160503.jpg

The honeysuckle branch alone.

Last edited by dapjwy; 08-07-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: correcting info
Old 08-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I'm not guaranteeing that it is spicebush (but I'm still leaning that way)...but it is not honeysuckle--I just checked...the (invasive) honeysuckle I found has opposite leaves; the leaves in havalotta's photo look alternate.

Sad to say, I still have some of the honeysuckle at the edge of our property...I had to walk to the edge...and stretch, but I do still have it around here. Here are the photos I took:

Attachment 41322
I know you both are doing your best at trying to put an I.D. my bush (Thank you) but If you say honeysuckle has an opposite leaf pattern then perhaps the one in the very center of your photo, ISN'T a honeysuckle... It HAS the alternate pattern.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #97

Quote:
Could you go on to explain just exactly what a clonal colony is? The shoots I have are not one looooooong runner system but lots of parts and pieces. Will mine ever produce fruit?
Mayapples that reproduce by runners are creating clones, copies, of themselves as opposed to reproducing sexually by seed (which they do as well, through their fruit). Suppose an individual mayapple grew from seed and formed a huge colony by runners/stolons...all of the mayapples in that colony would share the same DNA.

If your mayapples are all from the same clonal colony, you will need a genetically distinct mayapple flower to pollinate them. If, however, they came from genetically distinct individuals, then you should be fine.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #98

So they can't pollinate themselves even if they've been separated from itself. Doesn't sound right In my literal way of thinking.

That would be like.....If there was another me, whether it be by cloning or whatever....and that me was pregnant the me not pregnant couldn't GET pregnant. It doesn't make any sense.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #99
Heron

Some plants are self fertile, which then don't worry about having identical genes. Other plants need distinct genetic plants. Having multiple genetic plants allows for proper fertilization of the flowers.

If you cloned yourself, you couldn't make YOURSELF pregnant or your clone pregnant because humans need male/female flowers, I mean sexual organs.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #100

So mayapples are not self fertile. Each colony is either a male OR female ?

Tags
2013, entry, mayapple, month, november, photo, podophyllum peltatum, thread