Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #71
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Interesting....I never knew they sipped nectar.
Neither did I so I checked it out! It seems Ladderback Woodpeckers eat insects from cactus and will also visit the cactus flowers. Other woodpeckers are known to visit flowers in their range as well, often the same ones hummingbirds visit. I found a good article from a news station that talks about which feeders are good for both hummingbirds and woodpeckers, and goes into why woodpeckers visit them. It takes along time to load but is a good little article.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/aug/22/woodpeckers-stick-out-their-tongues-for-nectar/

Great Picture Kchd! Really shows the bird and a conversation starter for a little known backyard birder fact!

Last edited by River; 01-27-2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #72
Unicellular Fungi

Default Winter's Peace

OK, I thought I would do another. This was taken on the same day as the magpie picture on the other side of the hill. At first these deer were startled by me and my dog, but I hung out taking some bitter brush pictures - I might still post one of them.

The mule deer watched us, but didn't run off. After about 10 minutes they went back to browsing and I was able to capture them. This is Land Trust land very near private ranch land, and it borders Jacobson Preserve which is specifically for winter mule deer browse, although with all the winter hikers now they get pushed around a lot so I don't know how successful it is as they are often in these back canyons. Regardless, it benefits other species as well and is used for conservation education. The preserve goes right down to city limits. The trail head is a fitness gym on one side and a horse stable on the other.
Attached Thumbnails
~JANUARY 2013 POM Entry Thread~-winters-peace.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #73
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Nice composition, River. I like a rugged landscape.

I almost missed the deer, thanks for he explanation...it sounds great and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
...it benefits other species as well and is used for conservation education.
...I like that so many species benefit from it--including our own (through education and connecting with nature).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #74
Unicellular Fungi

Default Winter's Breath

Here is my last photo. It was going to be my last to begin with, and then I decided to post the magpie and deer.

Taken on Jacobson Preserve about a week ago.Its been fun trying to get some meaningful pictures in our constantly overcast winter (Wenatchee is known for inversion systems).
Attached Thumbnails
~JANUARY 2013 POM Entry Thread~-winters-breath.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Here is my last photo.
That is beautiful.

There is a thread on winter interest and seedheads. That would fit in nicely there as well.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #76
Official Plant Nerd

I like that winter's breath photo.
--
Not the greatest photos.... snow's hard but... not the worst either. This is something you don't see all the time unless conditions are just right. Go ahead guess what was tunneling under the snow and it's not that hard. I can tell you that this 1 didn't make it.... he was gobbled up in no time flat. There wasn't enough snow cover. He was too exposed.
Attached Thumbnails
~JANUARY 2013 POM Entry Thread~-img_2123.jpg   ~JANUARY 2013 POM Entry Thread~-img_2125.jpg   ~JANUARY 2013 POM Entry Thread~-img_2127.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Not the greatest photos.... snow's hard but... not the worst either. This is something you don't see all the time unless conditions are just right. Go ahead guess what was tunneling under the snow and it's not that hard. I can tell you that this 1 didn't make it.... he was gobbled up in no time flat. There wasn't enough snow cover. He was too exposed.
A mole...or vole?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #78
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
A mole...or vole?
I'm going with vole aswell
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
I'm going with vole aswell
That is what I think I have throughout our property...Lib's looks the same.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #80
Official Plant Nerd

Moles don't come above ground during winter. It's a vole!!! Ding ding ding.... you're both right!!! That vole got eaten by a coyote.... it ventured out a leetle bit too far and I could see the coyote tracks in the snow and that was the end of the vole's tunneling.

Tags
2013, camera, contest, enter, entry, free contest, january, month, open, photo, photo contest, photo entries, photograph, photographer, photography contest, photos, pictures, pom, potm, thread