Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Whatever will I do???

Retina doc said no work for a week like sticking my head into the deep washer and bending for the dryer.
Weather is iffy for photography but maybe we'll go up the Niagara River into Canada and look for ducks but Rogers it for cleaning the litter pan! I'm just resting but I can take just so much of that, you know!
Waiting for next test, dopplering and whatever comes next.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
1st Place Winner DIY Catchall Contest

MIL, is very crafty. I could get something from her. Who ever wins it better appreciate it cuz im sure it will cost me.
Viceroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I've a Petersons field guide to"Birds of prey" for young naturalists I was thinking of using as a prize (IF there were ever a "Birds of prey contest")
~Please Contribute Prizes for POM Winners~-p1020449.jpg
It could instead be used for the P.O.M.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I think this is a great idea. I would be happy to contribute something. Any thoughts on what kinds of items would be most appreciated - books, gift certificates, garden art, bird boxes, homemade goodies, vary depend on the month?
Any or all of the above are excellent ideas.

As WG's new Prize & Gift Coordinator I am looking forward into merging with Sage and "very open" as to what members may have to offer.
"Re-gifting" inclusive...Sometime we receive gifts that don't quite fit our taste..........

Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #15

Every offer is great and since havalotta is now in charge of gifts and prizes, we can try to coordinate prizes for particular times such as when photos of raptors for instance might be easier, like winter, when Red-tailed Hawks are at every interchange along the high-speed roads.

Hava, let's talk about the possibility for more specialized contests in 2013.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #16

I would LOVE to see more specialized contests! It opens all to an increase in their learning experience here at W.G.
I was hoping to see a raptor- Birds of prey contest in the future where the Petersons field guide to "Birds of prey" may be offered as a prize......

Would someone be game for starting a contest after the New Year in that subject matter or perhaps another?
I think if entries from past years would be allowed we'd definitely see an increase in the input. Rules and time frame would be up to the person starting up the contest. If anyone would like more details as to what's involved running a contest....Please feel free to ask openly or if wanting myself or another ......Via Private Message.

Options for the birds of prey contest could be....Just Winter scenes of birds of prey. A second, just Spring through fall, Just eagles, Just owls, Just Vultures....Osprey....... Falcons and hawks all together? I don't think a lot know which are which (Myself included) unless exposed to them more often which in this case could very well do that!

Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #17

snowman

Another idea for donations might be......
Magazine subscriptions, Native plant guides, How to books.... attract butterflies, birds, identify weeds, or any good fireside book that goes along with our mission statement:
Quote:
Wildlife Gardeners promotes environmentally sound practices to preserve biodiversity. We do so by encouraging discussions of the preservation, restoration and establishment of native flora and fauna AND sustainable gardening practices. The Best science will prevail. We are an environmental tutelage and advocacy organization dedicated to fostering a love of ecosystems and education in the areas of environmental science and natural history.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #18

Sure! We can do a Raptor Photo contest! I don't see many raptor photos on WG so that could mean not enough interest in raptors, so let's consider that.

Raptors (Birds of Prey) would include all kinds of hawks, eagles, falcons, owls and Osprey. In just a limited geographical area, the totally gorgeous Crested Caracara, both hunts prey and takes advantage of roadkill. It is higher in the pecking order than the Turkey and Black Vultures it can join up with but soon pushes them away from the meal.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Any or all of the above are excellent ideas.

As WG's new Prize & Gift Coordinator I am looking forward into merging with Sage and "very open" as to what members may have to offer.
"Re-gifting" inclusive...Sometime we receive gifts that don't quite fit our taste..........
Congrats on your new title.

I've always said that pride was a good enough prize for me...and I still feel that way--but I wouldn't turn down a gift card! . (I think it would have to be more of a Visa type card than a local store...seeing that they tend to be more regional.

Regifting is an option...but as I was trying to figure out if I had anything to offer, I realized I'd want to pass on something that I'd like to win as a gift...not something I hated. Then again, one man's trash is another's treasure.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #20
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Sure! We can do a Raptor Photo contest! I don't see many raptor photos on WG so that could mean not enough interest in raptors, so let's consider that.

Raptors (Birds of Prey) would include all kinds of hawks, eagles, falcons, owls and Osprey. In just a limited geographical area, the totally gorgeous Crested Caracara, both hunts prey and takes advantage of roadkill. It is higher in the pecking order than the Turkey and Black Vultures it can join up with but soon pushes them away from the meal.
Love it! Time to start clicking the shutter There has been a kestrel perching on the power line at the end of my street I've been meaning to get a few shots of him what a perfect excuse
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contest, contests, contribute, contributions, donate, donations, members, photo of the month, photographs, photography, pom, prize, prizes, win, winner, winners