Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Pests and Pathogens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Unicellular Fungi

Default Lack of Poppies

Moved my lone Oriental poppy and added two double Tangerine. All three are getting flower heads which then droop over, go wilty and brown in the stem.
Bacterial Wilt?
I creamed some four striped plant bugs last week and treated the soil around everything in that bed. Picked affected leaves off and garbaged them.
This will be yr number ten where I have no poppies.
Please advise...it's getting embarassing. Plus Looking at everyone else's is just sad. S-A-D!

(edited for spelling)
Tberri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

Sorry,
It's raining here so I looked it up...may be Bothryis Blight. Popies are next to a lilac that gets grey mold every yr.
Really sorry I bothered anyone!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I sorta have some bad news if this is a Botrytis blight sooooo..... don't shoot the messenger please ok? If your plants are next to a lilac that's getting hit with gray mold every year.... you might want to plant something that's resistant in the area or it might be better to flat out remove and burn that lilac and any other plants with even a hint of gray mold on them. Sclerotia will overwinter in dead plant material and.... the soil. It's there.... waiting to come back and plague you next year. About all we can do is start getting rid of all the diseased plants then replace them with plants that aren't susceptible even though some people have had success saving "favorites" by using Neem oil. Burn the diseased plants. If you can't burn.... walk around your yard with a plastic bag and snip any moldy plants you find down to ground level or maybe even a little lower to be on the safe side, toss them in the bag as you go, tie off the bag, and toss it out with your regular garbage. After you're done, spray your snippers with Lysol spray disinfectant. I know you like your oriental poppies but.... you might not ever be able to try any a coupla years down the road from now if that lilac is going to stay put spreading spores to all your susceptible plants every spring. This Botrytis blight is nasty.... has a wide host range.... and it's a common disease of ornamentals. Here's an ad for a neem oil product but.... gloss over what they say about the blight not attacking roots since the sclerotia can "persist" in your soil and applying neem oil to a favorite plant wouldn't do diddly to address what's in the soil, Botrytis Blight Control Options, Plant Disease Library | SaferĀ®Brand.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Fox

Default When at first you don't succeed...

Try showing off your green thumb with Coreopsis lanceolata instead of poppies. Or maybe Sundrops. Both are doing well for me this year.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

Thanks for the assist!
Have two original plain lavender lilacs that were planted in 1940's. Both get gray mold. I treat every year and keep the ground very clean. I've never had problems as long as I wasn't dittzy enough to plant phlox anywhere near them.

At some point since the one oriental poppy hasn't done anything ever, is to nuke that one, save the two very new double tangerines by relocating them.
Not to spread any possible disease, but they are blooming now with no sign of trouble since I dealt with the 4-lined plant bug thingy.

Am relocating a russian sage plant that also has been malingering. This will be it's fourth move. Sigh...I may call it quits tho and just purchase another. It's not diseased...just tiny. I win the award for the smallest, continually growing russian sage in history. It's 7'high or less for 12yrs.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Maybe if the russian sage bombs out for you again you could try Lobelia siphilitica, http://www.schaumburggardenclub.com/...t_w_flower.jpg. It'll give you that same feel as the russian sage and it might like the "digs" you have to offer better. Come to think of it.... there's Delphinium exaltatum that you might get a kick out of too, http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/3..._exaltatum.JPG.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I've an oriental poppy. Last year I thought I dug it out. Seems it only multiplied it as It is now coming up this spring and it is double what it was! I'm assuming from root segments I must have scattered upon what I thought its removal? Is there a way to delete the monster without using an herbicide? I just dug it out again and there are lots and lots of lil root pieces!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #8
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I've an oriental poppy. Last year I thought I dug it out. Seems it only multiplied it as It is now coming up this spring and it is double what it was! I'm assuming from root segments I must have scattered upon what I thought its removal? Is there a way to delete the monster without using an herbicide? I just dug it out again and there are lots and lots of lil root pieces!
We bought oriental poppies with our house.....over 30 years ago. They are impossible to get rid of. The patch just keep spreading.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:16 AM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

skull

Niiiice NOT!
I planted this monster thinking I had killed when I did so it being a tap rooted thing and now it's torturing me
K just have to keep on keeping on at it. Left one in and removed the rest sooooo now that I know this about it I shall also remove what I think is one but more than likely spawning others for next years rip.

R.I.P. is what it's going to get today!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:50 PM   #10
Hippie Gardener

I'm thinking FIRE is the only way, Hava!

Tags
blight, botrytis blight, diseased plants, diseased poppy, grow poppies, lack, lilac, lilacs, mold, moldy, neem, neem oil, poppies, poppies dying, poppy, poppy problem, problem growing poppies, sclerotia, sick poppies, spore, spores