Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening > Organic Lawncare

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default A Chemical Reaction

A Chemical Reaction

PFZmedia
excerpt from above:
Quote:
A Chemical Reaction, is a documentary movie scheduled for release in 2009 that tells the story of one of the most powerful and effective community initiatives in the history of North America. It started with one lone voice in 1984. Dr. June Irwin, a dermatologist, noticed a connection between her patients’ health conditions and their exposure to chemical pesticides and herbicides. With relentless persistence she brought her concerns to town meetings to warn her fellow citizens that the chemicals they were putting on their lawns posed severe health risks and had unknown side effects on the environment.
Quote:
Dr. Irwin’s persuasive arguments and data to back her findings eventually led the town of Hudson to enact a by-law that banned the use of all chemical pesticides and herbicides. The most mighty chemical companies in North America put their full legal weight on the tiny town and eventually the case made it to the Supreme Court.

The town’s right to protect its citizens was upheld, and — like a row of dominos — other municipalities followed suit. The movement spread so far and wide that the entire province of Quebec enacted a ban and Home Depot stopped putting the dangerous pesticide products on their shelves.

Paul Tukey, one of the nation’s leading experts on organic lawn care has been following this story for years. After becoming seriously ill with acute pesticide sensitivity from applying chemical lawn products in his own lawn care business, he became an outspoken advocate for alternatives to chemical lawn care. He travels across the country lecturing on the subject and has written the nation’s leading book on organic lawn care titled, The Organic Lawn Care Manual.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
WG Staff

Quote:
This documentary follows his journey that leads to the doorstep of Hudson, Quebec. It’s an inspiring story of overcoming great odds and demonstrates the power of people coming together to effect great change in our society.
The Video:
http://www.pfzmedia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&It emid=59
Old 09-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
WG Staff

The book referenced above:
http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...html#post38245
Old 09-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

That video is also on You Tube. I've seen it before. Well worth watching.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

The movie is touring now, there's a schedule of cities here:

‘Launch One in Your Town’*|*Safelawns Daily Post and Q&A Blog

Quote:
A CHEMICAL REACTION BEGINS ‘LAUNCH ONE IN YOUR TOWN’ TOUR

Film Questions Use of Lawn Chemicals

WASHINGTON, DC — With the start of the spring lawn and garden season just weeks away in many areas of North America, a critically acclaimed, yet controversial documentary film will question many of the products currently used to make lawns green and weed free.
The North American spring tour of A Chemical Reaction, titled “Launch One in Your Town,” begins this week in the United States and Canada. Presented by the SafeLawns Foundation and natural products manufacturer Seventh Generation, the film centers around the first town in North America that ever banned the applications of pesticides such as weed ’n feed and Roundup. When the town, Hudson, Quebec, won its case against TruGreen/ChemLawn in 2001 in the Canadian Supreme Court, hundreds of other Canadian communities then enacted their own pesticide bans.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
WG Staff

A Chemical Reaction
Old 06-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
WG Staff

Default Interview with Paul Tukey about "A Chemical Reaction," a Film about Chemical Pesticides

Interview with Paul Tukey about "A Chemical Reaction," a Film about Chemical Pesticides
Posted : Fri, 11 Dec 2009 10:00:47 GMT
Author : PRWeb

Interview with Paul Tukey about "A Chemical Reaction," a Film about Chemical Pesticides | Earth Times News
excerpt from above:
Quote:
"At the core, the film asks a simple question: If Home Depot in Canada has decided that lawn pesticides are too toxic to sell them in its Canadian stores, why does it still sell them in the U.S.? Shouldn't everyone be asking that question?... Most people in the U.S. have no idea their lawns may be poisonous."
Old 03-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
Heron

When I was a Kid I was rolling around and doing somersaults on a neighbors grass: From that day forward I never put any chemical fertilizer or weed killer on the grass. Boy did I get a nasty rash.

Since I listen to Canadian Radio being so close to the border and according to the gardening show all of Canadian Stores have stopped selling Pesticides
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:50 PM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

poison

Your post sent me into thinking about something back in time...

When I first started planting florals in the late 70's early 80's I was spraying herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers etc on all my new plants figuring that was the thing to do. Every Spring, I'd follow the same regiment fertilizing and spraying, spraying and fertilizing to kill whatever was feeding upon or causing the yellowing and spots and every Spring-Summer I'd get hit with Meniere's.

In the 90's, I took a master gardeners class and learned all about natural, safe, and alternative methods of feeding and control. The Meniers burnt itself out. Back then, they really didn't know what caused Meniers yet I wondered if there might have been a connection with the Meneire's and the pesticides. The mist that accidentally lands upon or gets inhaled every time the wind turns .....Just think how toxic and harmful some of those pesticides were back in the days!

Just for the heck of it, Just now, I typed Meniers and pesticides and found THIS.
Quote:
Other harmful chemicals and neurotoxins, not to mention unholy amounts of residues from pesticides and other neurotoxins.
Neurotoxins attack the central nervous system. Problems with the CNS has been linked to Meniere's. - See more at: Meniere's Triggers
Just as I had suspected ...
Seems I had slowly and unknowingly poisoned myself beyond repair! It was the Meniers that's chiseled away my hearing bit by bit year by year.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
Heron

I had a distant cousin that served in Vietnam and he was stricken with MS; His thinking was it was the Defoliant they sprayed the Jungles with.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a chemical reaction, chemical, chemical lawn products, chemical reaction, chemicals, film, health, herbicides, human health, lawn chemicals, movie, organic lawn care, pesticide, pesticide bans, pesticide exposure, pesticide impact, pesticide poisoning, pesticide use, pesticides, reaction, roundup, safelawns foundation