Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Heron

Quote:
Am I the only person in the world who believes in the "enjoy-the-pretty-yellow-flower" option?
My son loves dandelions, especially when they're white and fluffy. He blows them all over the yard.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
Heron

Personally..we leave our dandelions alone. I don't like them, but the only time I use round-up on them is when they interfere with native plants I'm trying to start.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Am I the only person in the world who believes in the "enjoy-the-pretty-yellow-flower" option?
Dan,

I actually always found them attractive. In my teens, I remember wondering why people had to kill everything but the grass. That is what got me started in wanting wild areas, which led me to wanting strictly natives.

I've been wanting to get the native dwarf dandelion, Krigia virginica.

David
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #14

I can't believe I had the scientific name right the first time. I used to read more about natives and would recognize the botanical name in print--though I rarely knew how to pronounce them. I was testing myself when I replied above and orginanally typed: Krigia biflora. When I tried the search the ony thing that showed up was the Krigia virginica ...later I found other Krigia spp. listed.

I'd take BOTH, but I meant to refer to K. biflora
Old 04-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #15
Fox

Local folks see me, the oddball, out in the yard with bucket and weed fork, digging dandelions. A bucket of dandelions is good compost raw material. Pretty or not, they don't "belong", so they go.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Dan,

I actually always found them attractive. In my teens, I remember wondering why people had to kill everything but the grass. That is what got me started in wanting wild areas, which led me to wanting strictly natives.

I've been wanting to get the native dwarf dandelion, Krigia virginica.

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
Pretty or not, they don't "belong", so they go.
That is how I feel.

I'm not fooling myself to think that dandelions will be eradicated from North America, but I'd like to eradicate them (and other non-natives) on my two acres at least. Hopefully, as I get more and more diversity in my yard and the natives re-colonize, others will see the beauty and want to do the same.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #17
Co-Administrator

The thing that bothers me most about dandelions is that they are very "neighbor unfriendly". They flower and seed so quickly that it's very hard to keep them from spreading onto other people's property. No matter what the neighbors are doing from the point of landscaping, I don't want to be responsible for an outbreak of dandelions in their vegetable garden, flower beds, lawns, etc. And I hope they give me the same consideration for my landscape.

So for me, that outweighs any pluses that might be attributed to these plants or any other plants that spread in an out of control manner. I consider natural areas and public areas to be neighbors, so I don't want to be responsible for spreading these kinds of plants there either.

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #18
Fox

Ah, my ignorance trips me up once again. I didn't know they were non-native. As for neighbor unfriendliness, I haven't lived where that was an issue for some time. I lived in town where lawns were small or non-existent or I had neighbors who were very casual about their lawns appearance or I've lived where I had no neighbors close to me. Honestly, I'd feel out of place in a suburb where everybody had carefully manicured lawns. Having said that, if I did live in such an environment, I would show consideration for my neighbors and do what I could to minimize dandelion encroachment.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #19
Fox

idea Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Dandelion wine: fermented sunshine!
Last year I made some elderberry wine for use as a red cooking wine. This post set me to thinking, why not make dandelion wine for my white cooking wine?

So, taking a break from pulling garlic mustard, I picked this recipe and started it today.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #20
Heron

Sometimes I let my dandies go to seed just to p*ss off the putting green lawn people.

I don't complain when their dogs poop in my yard once in a while, either.

Tags
dandelions, kill