Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Big Fat juicy WORM

Talking Starting Veggie/Flower Seed

Ah yes, I am inundated with lovely, colorful seed catalogs! Causing acute spring fever on this end.

I will however, begin to start both wintersowing seeds for next spring, beginning at the end of January in my 7b area. As well as set up growing trays for additional seeds in my spare room. It's serving as a "greenhouse" for now.

Check with your local gov't extension office for frost dates in your area and then start your seedlings using that information. Normally you start them between 6-8 weeks before your last frost.

I do "push" the envelop with some things, just for the challenge and am normally quite successful.

Now is the time to review your garden journal from last year, for your successes and misses and make adjustments accordingly. Also making a plan for any crops you may need to rotate as to where they need to go for this year.

If you are not keeping a journal, please do make the effort to do so. You will get enormous benefit from take the extra time to add this reference to your gardening library. If keep updated notes and photos you will know exactly what worked and what didn't. Also note problems, maybe plants that you don't want to grow again and why.

I normally garden with a steno pad and pen, along with my other tools. And take a moment or two to make quick notes of when and what I'm doing. Just compile that into my regular garden journal, and I have a running record of our progress.
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

A journal is a real good idea. I've been keeping notes for so many years that I have them everywhere and they're getting hard to find spread all over. I'd like to get a used lap top just for my plant information.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Big Fat juicy WORM

I have a yet to find a computer program that will meet my needs in this department. So I do it the old fashioned way with spiral notebooks and 3" binders.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Unicellular Fungi

I haven't found any software to buy either but what about MS access? Couldn't somebody create a database using that program?
Old 01-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
WG Guardian Spirit

I'd probably make up a spreadsheet using Excel if I were doing it on computer, but then my husband is the original Excel junkie, and he's converted me!

Of course, if I used a computer I'd drop it in the mud... I know this because of the many mud stains on the spiral notebook I've been using for a garden journal. Plus, I know I accidentally left it out in the garden overnight a couple of times... Fine for a notebook, less kind to a laptop.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
Unicellular Fungi

If I had a laptop, I'd have to spray paint it bright orange so I could find it.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
Big Fat juicy WORM

Jenny, I can relate, LOL

Tags
seed, starting, veggie or flower