Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
WG Fundraising Coordinator

What about Absorbine Ultra Shield Green? It doesn't contain any toxic chemicals, just natural essential oils.

Active Ingredients:
  • Thyme oil...0.01%
  • Cedar Oil...0.05%
  • Lemongrass...0.05%
  • Rosemary oil...0.05%
  • Citronella oil...0.06%
  • Clove oil...0.08%
  • Geraniol...0.70%
  • Sodium lauryl sulfer...2.50%
  • Inert Ingredients...96.50%
  • Water and glycerin
Ultra ShieldŽ Green Ready-to-Use 32oz. in All Natural Herbal Botanical Fly Spray at Schneider Saddlery

This website has some natural homemade fly repellent recipes.
Homemade Fly Spray Recipes for Horses
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

The Absorbine Green doesn't work. We've got nothing but horse farms around here. We actually have more horses than people where we live. We're up against face flies, horse flies, mosquitoes, noseeums, and who knows what else. They're H E double hockey sticks on old horses. Old horses can't afford the energy loss during the heat of summer especially if they're constantly stomping their feet and besides which.... when they do that their shoes come loose. I'd love it if just 1 of these "green" products performed as advertised but so far.... no go and I do think I've tried every green product on the market. It's not like you're an island when horses are boarded and folk do talk and compare notes and share products and look out after each others horses. These "green" products do not work. Sad but true. The best you can do is reduce the amount of the "nasties" applied by buying and using fly masks and sheets.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Bummer. Would it work on humans? We always used Avon Skin So Soft for mosquitos when we lived up north. It has a cloying scent and it's greasy but was pretty effective. In Maine (we lived in the woods) we actually couldn't go outside in the spring without a head net and long sleeves and pants tucked into your socks due to the black flies (horrible things!!!) I don't know how SSS would work for flies.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

That Avon skin so soft used to work for skeeters.... I don't know if it still does or how or even if it works on anything else. When I've got to work outside.... I wear long pants and long sleeved shirts so I really don't have to apply Deep Woods anywhere else except on my hands, the back of my neck, the top of my head, and a little bit rubbed on my ears and face. For really bad years when there's lots of rain.... skeeter suits are the way to go. When I'm out of bug spray.... I wear gardening gloves and use the skeeter hood. It's hot and hard to breathe but.... no bug bites. Most of us around here have screened gazebos or porches....that helps.

Tags
absorbine, insect control, insect repellents, liquid, net, pest, pests, repellent, safe, ticks