Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default The Status of the Lynx

If there was an opportunity to observe one animal of my choice in an American wilderness, it would be the lynx. Fascinating in appearance, uniquely capable in deep snow, and as mysterious as any animal in its rarity and shy habits, seeing one would be a real treat. While out in Yellowstone last summer, I was lucky enough to see a snowshoe hare, the base of the lynx's diet. The hares are rare at Yellowstone; hence the lynx is rare there. Numbers have been increasing in recent years, however, probably due to some heavy loss of forest to fire, which creates habitat for the hare and hence, increases the lynx presence.

The following link has the status of the lynx in America, and following the link, is the picture of the snowshoe hare I was able to catch with a picture. When I asked a ranger to identify exactly what I had photographed, she was quite surprised that I had seen one, never mind get as close as I did for the photo. Actually, the hare showed little fear of me.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/whit...anada_lynx.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
The Status of the Lynx-img_0982.jpg  

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lynx, status