Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Carbon

Default Raccoon Revenge

This guy is really annoying, ha!

I'm from so-cal, so it's not that common to find raccoons in your yard. I think they are very beautiful creatures. What do you guys think?
toddxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddxo View Post
I'm from so-cal, so it's not that common to find raccoons in your yard. I think they are very beautiful creatures. What do you guys think?
Raccoons are bad news... They carry rabies, dig up the garden, break into your house... And reproduce like crazy, bringing all of their pups to the house to tear up everything in your kitchen, and scatter everything all over your yard!

There is a solution:
To urban hunter, next meal is scampering by | detnews.com | The Detroit News
Attached Thumbnails
Raccoon Revenge-raccoon.jpg  
stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Fox

We have raccoons here, but they aren't a bit of trouble. They're entertaining.

Do you have a cat-flap on your kitchen door or something? How did they get in?
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Tip over garbage cans, scatter everything to the high winds.....but we still enjoy seeing them every so often so we let them be and make more wise decisions as to where to store the garbage.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Heron

They're common here. They're beautiful, intelligent native animals. As long as they stay in the woods where they belong, I'm fine with them, but they often cause problems because they sometimes decide to depend on people for food, raiding garbage cans, etc.

And as mentioned, they often carry rabies, and a lot of them carry a horrendous parasitic roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis) that can infest humans who come into contact with the animals or their feces. The worm ends up in your eyes and brain, and can be fatal, so you do NOT want Raccoons hanging around your property.

NEVER, EVER encourage Raccoons to hang around your home! And don't feed them, no matter where they are. They're wild animals, not pets.

My youngest granddaughter had to go through rabies shots a couple years ago when she was bitten by a "pet" Raccoon when visiting friends. The owners had found it as a wild baby and decided to make a pet of it. When a Raccoon bites someone (at least in Kentucky), the law requires it to be destroyed and checked for rabies. The one that bit my granddaughter tested positive for rabies.

John
Old 02-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone View Post
Raccoons are bad news... They carry rabies, dig up the garden, break into your house... And reproduce like crazy, bringing all of their pups to the house to tear up everything in your kitchen, and scatter everything all over your yard!
Sounds like you have had bad experiences with raccoons, Stone! I know they carry rabies, but some of the things you listed sound like some people living in my neighborhood!

We have them around here in Ventnor, NJ. They occasionally knock over a garbage can or eat the outdoor cats' food, but I have never had one destroy our property. Maybe because they have lots of nature foods to eat like crabs, clams and such...

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
Salamander

Yup, raccoons can be a handful.
I don't have a problem with them really, the occasional knocked over bin, dodgy confrontation in the yard, nothing major.
They did eat a shoebox of kittens I had "rescued" from under a neighbour's shed. In retrospect I am fairly happy about this to be honest. Less wild cats around the place.

I would certainly prefer to see raccoons than wild cats, they are great looking animals. The only unfortunate thing about them where I live is they are fed by humans tending to the wild cat population, so they end up being more numerous and cheeky than I would like.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
Great Horned Owl

Sounds like you need a coyote pack to take residence in the area!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Salamander

I would very much like some coyotes to drop over once in a while...

I know that one was seen walking over the GWB a short while back. Maybe they already do have the occasional sniff about?
philip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baylisascaris procyonis, behavior, rabies, raccoon, raccoon behavior, raccoons, revenge, roundworm, wild animals, wildlife