Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #21
WG Operations, Facilitator

squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
Keep your eye out for black walnuts too. Squirrels have to take the green husk off the black walnut shell to gnaw at the shell to get at the meats. The green husk is bitter so you'll see them scrapping them off on a sharp rock or even a window sill. Yes that surprised me too,,I thought someone was knocking on the door and I see Squirrelly knocking off a husk.
Wow, that's so interesting that you've seen squirrels using external tools to remove the green husk from a black walnut (window sill and rock). I've always thought that squirrels were clever little creatures.

And very funny that a squirrel was knocking at your window with a nut!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #22
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
... dapjwy I'll take a Box Elder over a cottonwood any day,, Another name is Manitoba Maple. Just having a few Box Elders that the squirrels can nest in will pretty much guarantee nut trees will soon follow. I've had a few bur and white oaks sprout from nuts that were buried and never retrieved,, Keep your eye out for black walnuts too. Squirrels have to take the green husk off the black walnut shell to gnaw at the shell to get at the meats. The green husk is bitter so you'll see them scrapping them off on a sharp rock or even a window sill. Yes that surprised me too,,I thought someone was knocking on the door and I see Squirrelly knocking off a husk.
When I was in 7th grade (I think), I had to do a leaf collection in Science. I knew most of them already, but had to ask my teacher what it (what I now call box elder) was called. He called it ash-leaf maple. Still when my brain isn't cooperating, I often come up with that name first.

I'm much more excited about the box elders I have now. One is probably 15+ feet tall, so I'm hoping it starts to really fill out soon. Another 4ft seedling was growing in the garden bed, so I moved it into the woodland last year. The deer pruned it back a bit, so I finally put a fence around it this spring.

I look forward to having some oaks planted by the forgetful squirrels. I do have on oak that will hopefully start producing acorns in a few years. I'd love to add some white oak--I just love their leaves.

I do have black walnut trees, so maybe I'll get to enjoy the show you've described.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #23
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Loved your red squirrel pix BooBoo! Where I live they are mostly gray. Lots of them running around the Catskills too. There are numerous oak trees around the house and lots of acorn caps strewn around! When I lived in FL the squirrels near the house would jump onto the lanai screen to taunt one of my cats.

Enjoyed the other squirrel stories here too!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #24
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I'd be so honored to have a squirrel run up my leg.
Quote:
We have Grays and a smaller one thats black. Their favorite tree in my yard is a box elder,,Now that the leaves have fallen I can see 2 nests. Everything I've read about box elder is bad,, It attracts red/black bugs. True but some years are heavy and some are light and only a few are seen after the crickets start chirping. I think the crickets eat them. It's wood is no more brittle than most maples but the best thing is it holds it's seeds through the winter. Near the end of winter or when the squirrels can't find anything else to eat you'll see see the little acrobats hanging/stretching to get to the seeds,,very amusing.
Feel free to add nest photos here... Nesting instincts.......

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #25
Heron

Tree2 Squirrel nest in a box elder and a box elder bug

I knew I had a squirrel mama raising her young in my box-elder tree when I would walk by and see babies hiding around the trunk and scurrying up when I came near. While watching I noticed they wouldn't go far but couldn't spot the nest. Today I was weeding around my Raspberry patch I spotted it. The box elder is the first tree I see when walking out the side door and the nest is directly above. It was hidden in plain site the way she built it. While I had the Camera out I also snapped a picture of a Box Elder bug.
Attached Thumbnails
American Red Squirrel-picture-001.jpg   American Red Squirrel-picture-002.jpg  
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #26
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Wasn't that a wonderful find...

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #27
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
I knew I had a squirrel mama raising her young in my box-elder tree... I was weeding around my Raspberry patch I spotted it. The box elder is the first tree I see when walking out the side door and the nest is directly above. It was hidden in plain site the way she built it.
How wonderful.

My immediate thought was, I've never had squirrels nest in any or my trees--then I realized, maybe they've just hidden their nest so well that I've never noticed.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american, american red squirrel, box elder, box elder bug, hudsonicus, mammal, red, red squirrels, small, small animals, squirrel, squirrel nest, tamiasciurus, tamiasciurus hudsonicus, wildlife