Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   North American Wildlife (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-wildlife/)
-   -   The Groundhog (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-wildlife/6737-groundhog.html)

BooBooBearBecky 08-23-2010 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 75748)
LOL!

That is not what I was picturing--not the same kind that I've seen (infrequently, thankfully) in my tub. Could that be a millepede? Or maybe mine is not a centipede.

dapjwy-
No, the photo of my devil horned big fat ugly HUGE bug is not a millepede. It's a Multi-Colored Centipede, Scolopendra polymorpha.

Although we did have millipedes in our home as well. This lovely zillion legged specimen was on the ceiling above my bed. Just what I needed to see first thing in the morning to wake me up!

Attachment 19327

p.s. All you bug people: please excuse my squeemishness in describing these "things." When bugs approach the size of a small dog and have hair of their own and things that resemble horns, things change!

dapjwy 08-23-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky (Post 75794)
dapjwy-
No, the photo of my devil horned big fat ugly HUGE bug is not a millepede. It's a Multi-Colored Centipede, Scolopendra polymorpha.

Although we did have millipedes in our home as well. This lovely zillion legged specimen was on the ceiling above my bed. Just what I needed to see first thing in the morning to wake me up!

Attachment 19327

p.s. All you bug people: please excuse my squeemishness in describing these "things." When bugs approach the size of a small dog and have hair of their own and things that resemble horns, things change!

Yup, the second one looks much more like the millipedes I'd recognize. When I picture a centipede, this is what I think of:

centipede | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Referred to as a house centipede on one site. Actually, they move so fast, I've never gotten that good of a look at them.

dapjwy 08-23-2010 11:43 PM

Err, I just noticed that pic is labeled Ukrainian cave centipede--but that is basically what I see in the house some times.

bridget1964 08-23-2010 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky (Post 75733)
dapjwy-
Cute poem about a really ugly bug.:)

Centipede photos taken inside my home when living in Mexico. Photos are little blurry because I was screaming.

roflmao!:rofl

swamp thing 08-24-2010 12:04 AM

Here, those house centipedes are called "thousand leggers". We have them in the basement. They are quick!

havalotta 08-24-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 75796)
When I picture a centipede, this is what I think of:

centipede | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Referred to as a house centipede.

Aaaack! :yuck Gives you the creepies...

dapjwy 08-24-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 75834)
Aaaack! :yuck Gives you the creepies...

yeah, a little, but I normally catch them and put them outside...or turn a blind eye to them if they are out of my sight.

dapjwy 08-24-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp thing (Post 75802)
Here, those house centipedes are called "thousand leggers". We have them in the basement. They are quick!

Yep, I remember them as a kid. I just don't want them in the bathtub!

havalotta 08-24-2010 10:26 AM

My camps tub has spiders big enough to pull you down the drain.

dapjwy 08-24-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 75844)

LOL! (easy to laugh while sitting safely at my computer--not in a tub with eight legs dragging me toward the drain!)

havalotta 08-24-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp thing (Post 75802)

Better there than rubbing up against your legs like a cat under your computer area. We rarely see the long leggers here.

BooBooBearBecky 08-25-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 75844)

:pointlaugh :spider :pointlaugh

havalotta 08-25-2010 10:36 AM

It's really weird.... Only ONE type of spider resembling a HUGE jumping spider lives inside the camp.
In my Jungle room..... Again it's the same thing... Only one type of spider but this variety is really skinny with long, long legs....
The strongest species must delete the other varieties.